Small prob with my PC any suggestions?

First of I am running Win ME OS, Voodoo 5500 AGP vid card, 512 Meg RAM, Pent III 667Mhz.

About 5 months ago I installed a new HD, and replaced 70% from old HD to new HD(other 30% was useless crap I didn't use). Everything was going fine.

Last night I bought IL-2 Sturmovik, and I relized I need to install my flight stick. I got out my sidewinder driver disk. Installed it, started up game, but stick is totally off.

Movement is completely wrong. So check everything out and, sidewinder program shows no device control attached. I know it plug in becasause I have some movement just not the right movement, buttons work fine.

Any suggestions.

Which particular Sidewinder stick do you have ? The latest software I see is v. 3.02. What game port are you plugging into, is this something on the motherboard or a particular sound card ?

I'm not familiar with any calibration/registration settings in IL-2, have you run these on your joystick ? There might even be something in the control panels for calibrating the joystick (Multimedia, Gaming Options, Game Controllers ?).

Though I don't see anything applicable to your problem in the patches you may want to make sure you have the latest version (1.1), though you'll need to know your current version in order to download the appropriate patch.

IL-2 Patches

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

[QB]Which particular Sidewinder stick do you have ? The latest software I see is v. 3.02. What game port are you plugging into, is this something on the motherboard or a particular

sound card ?

--------------------------------------------------

Its an older stick the sidewinder precision pro. Ya I tried the latest software v3.02. Stick plug in is not USB, I only know it as the game port, on the rear of the tower.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm not familiar with any calibration/registration settings in IL-2, have you run these on your joystick ? There might even be something in the control panels for calibrating the joystick (Multimedia, Gaming Options, Game Controllers ?).

Yes I have since been able to show the stick as Functioning properly in control panel options for stick. The only problem is the stick movement is still all messed up. I have calibrated the stick in both the IL-2 calibration settings and in control panel. When I tried the calibration test they were already correct, but I recalibrated anyway and everything was fine, but game control is still all over the place. I installed B-17,Microsoft flight sim, and one other and all same prob. So I thought maybe the stick is junk. I tried it on my newer PC & no problems at all. I also have updated all patches for all games mentioned.

[ July 30, 2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

I know some sticks have problems with particular sound card game ports. I don't know how sensitive to this the Sidewinder family is, but it is a possibility. It's strange that it will calibrate fine, but act completely worthless in games.

I've been looking at Ubisoft's IL-2 Tech Support forums and a few people have complained about MS Sidewinders, but not a whole lot of them. Maybe you should just uninstall the 3.02 drivers and software and try to configure the joystick as a normal '3-axis' or something like that within Windows and IL-2.

This is the closest post that may suggest a solution (though it is geared towards the 3.02 software incompatibility with XP):

IL-2 Tech Page MS Sidewinder Problems

If you read all of the posts one user suggested getting the USB adapter (which I assume works with your particular Sidewinder Pro).

I did a search on 'Sidewinder Pro' and came up with several hits on IL-2 Tech Support.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I've been looking at Ubisoft's IL-2 Tech Support forums and a few people have complained about MS Sidewinders, but not a whole lot of them. Maybe you should just uninstall the 3.02 drivers and software and try to configure the joystick as a normal '3-axis' or something like that within Windows and IL-2.

I fixed it. The weirdest thing too, I uninstalled everything that I had installed concerning the stick. Reinstalled flight stick first this time, instead of IL-2. Plus this time I used the drivers from a another MS game pad.

Last time I had already installed the gamepad & when I got the stick, I did not need to install drivers again. So I did the same and now everythings fine.

Thanks Schrullenhaft

I know when I can't figure something out your always a web site away. :D