recommend a laptop?

bob9017

Thanks Tom,

I have to stick with PC types.

Thinking about a Dell Inspirion with upgraded video card and 256MB SDRAM. Just don't know how well the 32MB DDR 4X Nvidia Go Vid will work with Battlefront games. CCBB in particular.

I suspect it would be fine but would rather check around first.

Bob

Hi,

If you are using the laptop for gaming the majority of the time I would recommend taking a look at alienware's gaming Laptop. In case you never heard of them they are a premium gaming machine maker. They have a very good customer service track record. Their website should be www.alienware.com. If you are going to do more business than gaming I would suggest a Dell Inspiron with the Geforce Graphics.

Hope this Helped

Bodman

I played CMBO on a Dell Inspiron 8000 for about a year without any problems. All high res mods applied, 1600X1200 res,etc. The config was a P3-1GHZ,512MB RAM,GeForce2GO 32MB,IBM 5400RPM hard drive. I was very happy with it except for the dumb move I made going with Dell for financing as my credit wasn't greatly established at that time and I paid through the nose.

Also if you have the means, configure it with the least amount of RAM, you're better off going to places like Crucial for the memory. I also got the cheapest hard-drive from Dell then went to an outside supplier for the 45GB/5400RPM Travelstar hard drive.

Good luck!

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S901. I can handle ANYTHING I throw at it so far, including CMBB. With a 2.0 ghz P4M, 512 PC2100 ram, and a GF4 440 GO chip with 64 megs onboard, it's a great gaming laptop. Granted, it came at a pretty penny though, but I highly recommend considering the Toshiba Satellite line.

Additional: The one downside to this laptop is battery staying power. I can get about 1.5 to 2 hours out of it max. If you looking for something Truly mobile (i.e. battery life important), you may consider other models. I have a car adapter and the AC adapter, so I can really use it anywhere I need to, but other may prefer more "on the battery" usage. This is essentially a mobile desktop.

[ October 02, 2002, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: FutbolHead ]