Is there a way to shoot wheels with small arms at long range?

I think any vehicle in the game whose wheels are vulnerable to small arms can be knocked out altogether by small arms, so why target the wheels? In fact the only wheeled vehicle I can think of that won't fall to small arms is the Stryker, which is equipped with run-flat tires and presumably would shrug off small arms fire to the wheels. I could be completely wrong on this, though, and would welcome correction.

I believe Humvees also use run-flat tires.

I'm not sure the Humvee tires can withstand concentrated MG fire -- sooner or later, they'd get shredded. But a round or two through the sidewall isn't going to immediately stop the vehicle.

I also don't see much need for a special command to shoot at wheels. Heavy small arms fire can definitely immobilize a Humvee; I've seen it happen. So I don't see much need for this kind of micromanagement.

Cheers,

YD

On a related note. I have had a Stryker get its tires wrecked. One seemed to be moving REALLY slow after taking some heavy MG fire. I thought it was a bug or something till I checked the damage display and saw that its wheels were almost destroyed. It made it through the entire battle, probably because it was too slow to make it to any fighting.

Strykers go really slow when enough of the wheels get popped. I want my rifles and mgs to open up while they are too far away to be spotted, like 400m. I dont think the rifles will shoot at real afvs like the stryker and BRDM, am I mistaken?

[ May 12, 2008, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: cool breeze ]

Sure they will, esp. if you give them a direct target command.

Edited to add:

Heck, when I'm playing Red, my MG teams will sometimes open up on their own accord on an Abrams. Not sure what they're trying to accomplish with that. . . and they'll definitely open up on Strkyers. Rarely have I seen a Strkyer take any damage from small arms fire, but it has happened, and sometimes the small arms fire catches one of the airguard. IME, Strkyers are also really skittish, and will often pop smoke and evade of their own accord when hit with any volume of small arms fire.

Cheers,

YD

[ May 12, 2008, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

Originally posted by cool breeze:

Strykers go really slow when enough of the wheels get popped. I want my rifles and mgs to open up while they are too far away to be spotted, like 400m. I dont think the rifles will shoot at real afvs like the stryker and BRDM, am I mistaken?

No they don't. You have to destroy the tires not just pop them.

smile.gif thanks. I guess what I thought were tires popped by HE fragments were really partly torn off. The stryker could still move though at the IIRC 5 mph run on flats speed. Must have been my bad luck with the rifles not firing when I was thinking about it and wanting them too.