30.82 vs. 30.87?

Holman

Hi all,

I've heard that 30.82 is the last driver that works for CMBB without "blackouts" under WinXP. Then I've also heard that 30.87 works. Is there a benefit to moving up to 30.87 from 30.82?

Is there a driver above these that also allows CMBB to work with WinXP? I know from experience that 40.72 does not.

(I'm looking for drivers that include the "texture sharpening" option, which seems to be necessary for CMBB to look its best on my machine.)

My specs:

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU

256MB RAM (more on the way)

WinXP Home edition

GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB video card

NVIDIA 30.82 drivers

Originally posted by Martyr:

Hi all,

I've heard that 30.82 is the last driver that works for CMBB without "blackouts" under WinXP. Then I've also heard that 30.87 works. Is there a benefit to moving up to 30.87 from 30.82?

I've tried both, couldn't really tell the difference. By "blackouts" I assume you mean missing text with FSAA turned on? If so, both 30.82 and 30.87 work fine, anything over 40.00 doesn't (so far).

Is there a driver above these that also allows CMBB to work with WinXP? I know from experience that 40.72 does not.

Depends what you mean by "work". I've tried every 4x.xx driver out (officially or unofficially) so far, and with most of them (all far two IIRC) CMBB will "work", in the sense that it'll load and run and all that jazz. But all suffer the "whoops where's my text gone?" with FSAA enabled. At least one of the driver sets dropped my frame-rate to ~1fps (from 20fps on the same scenario).

Hi,

I would highly recommend that you stick with 30.82 drivers if that is what you have installed. The 30.87 drivers are so similar in performance that upgrading to them is pointless. If it aint broke don't fix it certainly applies here. smile.gif As far as texture sharpening goes, I do beleive that you are referring to anisotropic filtering. I use a utility program to enable that feature with the 30.82 drivers. I can't remember the name of the program right now, but when I get home I will look up the name and post the link here.

Hope this helps

Bodman