CM:BB random lockups, crashes and exits to Windows...

Guest BigAlMoho

Guest BigAlMoho

Hello,

Up until now I have not been able to get through a game or map editing session... It has been frustrating, but I recently had to replace the motherboard and so I have been fighting to get all the hardware on their own resourses and my audio software setup properly... Everything has been stable for a couple of weeks except that CM:BB would still lockup crash or exit inexplicably... Finally, I had the inspiration to lower the resolution from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 and now CM:BB seems to have stablized...

I have an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon w/32Megs and a MaxiGamer Cougar w/32Megs in a 1Ghz P3 w/512Megs...

Just throwing this out on the chance that it might help someone...

Al

Which video card are you running currently the TNT or the Radeon ? What motherboard do you have and have you installed device drivers for the chipset ? What OS are you running ? Has it been installed over a previous OS or is it a 'clean' install ? What driver version are you running and what DirectX version do you have installed ?

Do you have problems running anything else ? Are the CMBB crashes producing error dialog boxes or just locking up your computer ?

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Which video card are you running currently the TNT or the Radeon ? What motherboard do you have and have you installed device drivers for the chipset ? What OS are you running ? Has it been installed over a previous OS or is it a 'clean' install ? What driver version are you running and what DirectX version do you have installed ?

Do you have problems running anything else ? Are the CMBB crashes producing error dialog boxes or just locking up your computer ?

The Radeon w/4.13.9021 driver. ABIT SA-6 v1.4 something. Absolutely, step by step right from the book. Clean install (formatted HD) of Windows ME with all updates. DirectX v.8.1.

I got everything else stable (including CM:BO) before I reloaded CM:BB. Everything works great... Lockups requiring reset, spontaneous reboots...

I was sure I had covered all these items...

Al

is there anything you are doing or the game is doing when it crashes?

like were you moving the mouse at the point it crashes?

was the game calling anything specific like particular mbp's or wav's that might be missing or corrupted?

trying basically to find the common factor in all the crashes that points to what hardware or software that might be causing it

Before launching CMBB do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at what is running. You want 'Explorer' and 'systray', almost anything else is unnecessary.

The Abit SA6 is based on the Intel 815 chipset. Do you know if you've installed the latestIntel Chipset Drivers ? I don't know how necessary or helpful they may be with WinME, but you may want to try them.

7x seems to be the latest BIOS for the SA6, though I don't know if it would have any bearing on your problem here (most likely not). However some BIOS settings related to AGP may have an effect on what you're seeing. How thoroughly did you test CMBO with your current setup ?

The latest display driver for the All-in-Wonder Radeon is 4.13.01.9072 though I have no idea why your current one would be this problematic with default settings. I'm not sure how well to recommend the latest Catalyst driver. Some users have had problems and downgrading the driver has helped them. You may want to completely uninstall all of your ATI drivers and reboot before attempting to install another video driver (in fact you may want to install your Radeon as a 'SVGA PCI' card first).

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by easytarget:

is there anything you are doing or the game is doing when it crashes?

like were you moving the mouse at the point it crashes?

was the game calling anything specific like particular mbp's or wav's that might be missing or corrupted?

trying basically to find the common factor in all the crashes that points to what hardware or software that might be causing it

Yes, occasionally when moving the mouse, sometimes when panning the screen and sometimes when just looking at the sceen doing nothing(sound stops, mouse moves, nothing responds)...

I have a fresh install with gridded ground mods...

I have been experiencing the same thing. The only game (or any program) that crashes is CMBB. It has been crashing with an automatic restart, even though I have disabled the automatic restart option in my Windows XP. I can't detect any common element to the crash, such as moving the mouse or hitting the "go" button. I play numerous other games, such as Combat Flight Sim 3, Civ III, IL2 Sturmovik, NeverWinter Nights, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, etc. all with no problem. I have updated all drivers (nVidia 30.82, Via 4.43) but still can't get it to work. What is there about this one game that is technologicaly so different from the aboved mentioned games?

Do you get a lockup if you're just sitting at a 2D screen (such as selecting forces for a QB, etc.) ? What sound card do you have installed and do you know if it is sharing an IRQ with your video ? Have you tried turning off sound or at least 'ambient' sound in CM ?

I have never gotten a lockup on a 2D screen. I don't usually spend very much time on those, so I assumed that it was just luck. I have not tried turning off the ambient sound. I'm not at home right now, so I can't consult the book. How do you do that?

Guest BigAlMoho

Do you get a lockup if you're just sitting at a 2D screen (such as selecting forces for a QB, etc.) ? What sound card do you have installed and do you know if it is sharing an IRQ with your video ? Have you tried turning off sound or at least 'ambient' sound in CM ?

No, never on a 2D screen...

I have a Santa Cruz and a Layla20 in addition to the two video cards... I disabled one of the two serial ports to free up another IRQ although I didn't technically need it... All four devices are on different IRQs and all function fine in multi-monitor mode with Sonar XL 2.1...

I reloaded CM:BB and the patch with no mods and the problem didn't change...

BTW I have been playing CM:BO this afternoon and had a lockup... Hitting the escape key dumped me back to Windows...

Al

p.s. I appreciate your efforts to help me with this... I really want to cover everything I can with my platform before I allow myself to contemplate pointing a finger at CM:BB...

Here is my IRQ list:

IRQ 0 System timer OK

IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK

IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK

IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK

IRQ 4 Layla20 (WDM) OK

IRQ 4 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 1 OK

IRQ 4 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

IRQ 5 Santa Cruz OK

IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK

IRQ 7 Printer Port (LPT1) OK

IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK

IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK

IRQ 9 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2 OK

IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

IRQ 10 ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON OK

IRQ 10 Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100) OK

IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

IRQ 11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 OK

IRQ 11 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller OK

IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK

IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK

IRQ 14 Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller OK

IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

IRQ 15 Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller OK

IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

Do you have any USB devices plugged in ? If so unplug them and see if this makes any difference (though this will be a problem if your mouse is USB).

I'm not familiar with the Layla20. Is it just a multi-track audio digitizer card or something else ? I assume that the Santa Cruz is your DirectX sound device.

Is the ATI Radeon your primary video card ? Is it in the AGP slot or are both of your video cards PCI ? Which NVidia driver do you have loaded ? If you delete the CMBB Prefs file, does it indicate primary or secondary when selecting the resolution or does it name the video card specifically ?

How long did it take for CMBO to lock up ? Was it much longer than CMBB or have you been able to play complete games with CMBO ?

Guest BigAlMoho

Do you have any USB devices plugged in ? If so unplug them and see if this makes any difference (though this will be a problem if your mouse is USB).

I'm not familiar with the Layla20. Is it just a multi-track audio digitizer card or something else ? I assume that the Santa Cruz is your DirectX sound device.

Is the ATI Radeon your primary video card ? Is it in the AGP slot or are both of your video cards PCI ? Which NVidia driver do you have loaded ? If you delete the CMBB Prefs file, does it indicate primary or secondary when selecting the resolution or does it name the video card specifically ?

How long did it take for CMBO to lock up ? Was it much longer than CMBB or have you been able to play complete games with CMBO ?

No USB devices...

Correct on the audio devices...

Radeon is AGP and is set to primary in bios...

The NVidia drivers I loaded didn't work but I don't remember why now, so I used the one that windows finds and that has been working fine in my audio software...

CM:BB looks at the NVidia first and calls it "NVidia Riva TNT2 Model64"...

CM:BO seems to be locking up within a turn or three just like CM:BB...

Al

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by da_butcher:

I am having problem running CM:BB to, The problems started after installing the newest patch. For example, if I move the mouse and tries to scroll the window the system hangs. I am a owner of a Geforce 4, with 30.0 detonators.

In my case, it happened before the patch as well... When I setup dual monitors, Windows warned me that some programs are not dual display friendly... I have not given up hope but it is starting to look like CM might be one of these...

Guest BigAlMoho

OK, I put the tnt into my old 233mmx and am running CM:BB at 1280x1024 and have had no crashes or lock ups... It is slow but it works...

So... I am guessing that there is something more wrong with the new computer that the new motherboard didn't fix...