What just happened?

c3k

i am more or less happy with the floating icons when i have more than one or two companys in urban setting. i need to have ATI left klick thingy on, so i can hardly select them at all in houses or so without the clickable icon.

that does not mean i want the icons start to "flash" and do fancy things in firefights just becouse people tend to look somewhere else ;):D

• 2 months later...
personaly i dont see any problem here. even me playing in WEGO takes casualties in some odd places now and than with me discovering it 3 turns later. i think "what the...!?"

but in the end that p-nuts, i couldnt care less about such incidents. i let em do the medic and carry on manageing the important guys.

however, i just come in to say that i dont want the battlefield to become a sea of flashing unit icons when i lock one and a hlaf companys into battle on both sides. that would be redicoulous.

As ridiculous as a team leader not knowing anyone has been hit in his squad? Or that someone inside a tank didn't know the tank is on fire? Because that's some of the roles you're taking and if you don't get the information you need to play then what's the point?

There's lots of ways to play the game, some play to see a movie, some play to test their ESP - I play for the tactics. As such any tactically relevant information I can get I want. It's present in the game, it just has no exposure. I'd like that exposure.

The ideal way I'd like it is to have large moving 3D icons of soldiers to present squads beyond visual range, as below:

icons.JPG

I've been told this categorically will not happen :D

So the next best thing is to lever something into the icons, which, lets face it, are the only thing you can see of a squad beyond 100m.

So yeah, it's my major bugbear.

Cheers.

As ridiculous as a team leader not knowing anyone has been hit in his squad? Or that someone inside a tank didn't know the tank is on fire? Because that's some of the roles you're taking and if you don't get the information you need to play then what's the point?

well, for me its more like iam the commander of the whole force down there, iam not possibly XX Team leaders, XX Squad leaders, X company commanders and a battalion commander at once, no iam just the guy on top.

and as far as i see it, he wouldnt be notified "instantly" if a guy out of the many is hurt, especially not in a conventional or semi conventional conflict like we simulate.

if you get a "summary" of what happened, every minute,...say every turn, like a log, i would accept/like it, i can read it or simply close it.

but ways i cannot get rid of, like a ever present running log in a corner of the screen or flashing icons wich i "could" turn off, but if i do it i dont see my guys further than 100-200 meters, depending on graphical settings, i dont like.

I just finished a scenario. I was moving 2 companies on foot through a protected zone. I used a bunch of "Quicks". At one point there was some light, ineffective, incoming fire. Later, I noticed some casualties. After several turns I discovered WHY I had casualties: they were in a minefield. That was several turns worth of trying to MOVE them away from the incoming fire.

Had I known that one of the 38 squads or teams in my force was taking hits, I could've done something...LIKE STOP!

In short, I had NO knowledge of this. If my team leader was good, he would've stopped. But, since I am Battalion HQ, Company HQ, Platoon HQ and Squad HQ, I should've known about the casualties MUCH SOONER.

This is not a Battalion/Company commander game. The platoons don't move themselves, nor do the squads. If I am acting as a small unit leader, I should get the same information as a small unit leader.

Thanks,

Ken

Pandur, I certainly see where you're coming from and you're absolutely right - if I watched each replay 6 times I'd see what was going on to a perfect standard, because the information is already there in the game - you do that so you get that much out of it.

But I don't want to; I want to fight my game without putting so much effort in. I suspect most people are the same.

So all the info you get I'd like to see at a glance. CM1 did it for me by having unit + size. CM2, I'm playing pretty much without feedback, so diluting my enjoyment.

The real, big shame is - the information is there and if I played like you I'd get it. But I don't find that interesting enough to do. So I miss out on seeing the tactics I'm playing the game for because I don't see their effects directly. I end up with a hazy idea of what's going on and I really shouldn't.

It's there - just let me access it straight away.

I just finished a scenario. I was moving 2 companies on foot through a protected zone. I used a bunch of "Quicks". At one point there was some light, ineffective, incoming fire. Later, I noticed some casualties. After several turns I discovered WHY I had casualties: they were in a minefield. That was several turns worth of trying to MOVE them away from the incoming fire.

Had I known that one of the 38 squads or teams in my force was taking hits, I could've done something...LIKE STOP!

In short, I had NO knowledge of this. If my team leader was good, he would've stopped. But, since I am Battalion HQ, Company HQ, Platoon HQ and Squad HQ, I should've known about the casualties MUCH SOONER.

This is not a Battalion/Company commander game. The platoons don't move themselves, nor do the squads. If I am acting as a small unit leader, I should get the same information as a small unit leader.

Thanks,

Ken

Exactly.