Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Game action herky-jerky

I received the CD game last week after having the demo the last year. Loaded CD, game played fine. Had some "little" problem with the cursor arrow blinking,(in demo too)but everything went well until Paris! By the 15th turn I was getting bigtime blinking arrow, jerky movements, and my reinforcement tank showed up in a building I couldn't get it out of. Then the game locked up. I ctrl alt-del out. I followed up with the help in the manual, I downloaded DirectX 7, and a new upgraded driver for my video card.

My system: AMD-K6 450mhz 128 RAM

ATI Rage 128 Magnum Xpert (Yea I know the warnings!)Video card 16M

Creative AWE 64 16 Bit Sound Card

PS/2 Compatible Mouse (PCConcept)

So far, I got the cursor arrow from blinking, but when I play the game it has a delay of 1-2 seconds when giving commands or when the objects move. I played with the advanced graphics settings in system properties but to no avail. The manual advice of loading "older" video drivers from the manufacturer doesn't sit well with me, I hate to "downgrade" just to play this game.

PC Concepts had no driver upgrade for mouse, and the manual had outdated info about some manufacturer sites for driver downloads.

Any advice??????

Please keep any reply in simple terms, I'm a gamer who is NOT a hardware nut that knows all the computer terms. I love this game and want it to run right. So far, it's down to the herky-jerky glitch. I'm close. Seeing that it was working well when I first loaded CD, gives me hope a fairly simple fix will suffice.

I lowered resolution, downloaded DirectX 8.0 and STILL have the jerking, 1-2 second delay in my action on CM. I tried following W98 help on picking the right drivers to load, but I didn't do anything since I was affraid to mess with the updated version I loaded a few days ago for my ATI Rage 128 video card.

I'm not sure which driver you're using for your Rage 128-based board, but here are a couple of drivers to try:

ATI's website (v. 4.12.6292):

http://support.atitech.ca/products/pc/rage128/win98/rage128_win98_drivers.html

VoodooExtreme (v. 6.33CD18, go to ATI section then Rage 128/Pro and click on "win9x"):

http://www.voodooextreme.com/hw/Binaries/drivers.html

This site is down at the moment, but they usually post the latest BETA driver for ATI chipsets:

Rage 3D (drivers are listed in upper right hand corner):

http://www.rage3d.com/

As for your mouse I'd suggest using a Windows standard driver rather than a manufacturer specific driver (unless there's a feature you really need with the manufacturer's driver). Windows standard drivers are usually named something like "PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port" in your case (this is found at Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager Tab > click on the plus sign next to the Mouse listing).

It's also possible that the Paris scenario is just a lot of polygons and textures for your setup and you will naturally see slow downs which will often manifest themselves during selection and LOS checks, etc. Since the Paris scenario has so many buildings a lot of systems slow down with it.

As for the reinforcement tank showing up in the building - what version of CM are you running. I know one of the patches tried to minimize this sort of problem, but I'm not sure if it completely fixed it.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 01-10-2001).]

Schrullenhaft:

I downloaded this one, it's currently the one I use.

ATI's (v. 4.12.6292)

I'll try checking other drivers from ATI site. I hope I know what to do. Probably do it Friday night.

The big question from me is: why was CM working when I first loaded it, until Paris scenario, and then this problem with the 2 second delay-jerking movements? Arrow Cursor

is fine. One guy wrote me....dump the ATI video card...get a new one, he had similar problems.