Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Thoughts on CMSF

Hello everyone. I got CMSF on the release day and have slowly been getting the hang of the game. I have played CMx1 and enjoyed it too. I have to admit, that I got a kick out of firing the Javalin and was even suprised to see it leveling buildings (can they do that?)

I know people have lots of different ideas about how to improve this game so here is my two cents. Can there be an attack ability that is suppress? I know guys can be suppressed, but it takes a lot of firepower. I would like to be able to tell my Stryker to sustain fire for a period of time. I know the guns can do it, but I don't know Army doctrine about sustain firing a remore gun. Still, watching these guys doing burst fire is really impressive and close to real life.

My second cent, is a question: is the AI less aggressive than the origional CM? It seemes to me, in my mind at least, that in CM the squads were willing to shoot at just about anything that got into their LOS. However, with each individual man modeled, it seems that only the 1 or 2 guys engaged actually fight while the rest of the team ignores what is happening.

I was playing the first campaign mission today and had my MSG Strykers at the end of the road, but since I did not give them a way point pointing toward the fort, I just assumed they would turn and engage the people shooting at them. But no, they just sat there being shot at! I had to turn them and give them targets in order for them to attack. Anyone else see this?

Anyway, glad to be a part of this community and I am very much enjoying playing a GOOD modren combat game. Such a rare thing to find any more.

Originally posted by rogue187:

Can there be an attack ability that is suppress? I know guys can be suppressed, but it takes a lot of firepower. I would like to be able to tell my Stryker to sustain fire for a period of time.

Area Fire should do what you want to do, I think? Or are you saying they're still not shooting enough even when Area firing?

I guess what I was trying to say, is to see an option where the machine gun can just be fired for a breif period of time. The M240 can shoot 300 rounds a minute, but with a huge loss of accuracy. Still, that kind of sustained firepower from one gun should be enough to suppress anyone, let alone having multiple 240s shooting that kind of firepower at the same time. To me this is would be more effective for using the Strykers to suppress. But since I am not in the Army (in the Coast Guard) I don't know if standard doctrine would use the Strykers in such a fashion. Burst fire is the most common method used to shoot machine guns without wasting ammo. However, I have not tried area fire yet so I don't know if it does this.

*Also, please forgive my grammer, I don't usually proof read these posts until after I post. Sorry.