Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Resolution Issues

melb_will

Ok I know that this has been done over and over again but I've got another questions.

The reason that CMBB will not run in classic is that classic only supports 640 by 480

Seeing as i'm desperately awaiting CMAK, Italy and Africa in one! who cares about the russian front.

Is it possible for battlefront to include an option in cmak to play in 640 by 480. I know the graphics would be crappy, it would be slow etc etc, but when you're just playing a couple of pbem moves it;s lots easier in classic.

Yes i'm still going to buy it, yes i'll boot up into os9 to play it, but the above would be nice.

Will

640x480 is usually a 'software rendered' resolution (though CMBO may have offered a hardware-rendered version of this resolution). The RAVE drivers under Classic don't offer the level of hardware rendering that CM requires, thus only software rendering can be offered (which usually cuts down on visual effects).

The resolution in CM was bumped up to 800x600 to accomodate the new interface (more info boxes/graphics). As far as I'm aware it won't be possible with the way that CM is coded to just replaced the interface graphics with lower resolution versions; the interface is structured with the expectation of certain sized graphics. That means (as far as I'm aware) that a different executable would need to be created to accomodate the 640x480 screen size.

Some people have had CMBB come up at 640x480 (usually on the PC), but the interface graphics get cut-off, making the game unplayable.

I think it would be nice to have CMAK playable under Classic with a 640x480 resolution (software-rendered). However, the extra work (and storage space on the distribution CD) would probably preclude such an offering. Not to mention there's still the possibility that CM won't completely work with software rendering under Classic.

Another consideration is the fact that software rendering will severely reduce the quality of the display. Many effects won't get rendered, graphics will look chunkier or blurrier and the display speed could be quite slow (depending on which processor you're running).

I'm not disparaging your request here, I'm just giving you some of the reasons why it probably won't happen. OS X users will probably have to wait for CMx2 for a CM engine that is truly compatible with it.