Request for Mousewheel Use

In my opinion the mousewheel has been poorly used in wargames. If it does anything at all it usually controls altitude (e.g. take Command Mannsas) or map scale (COTA) and not used at all in CM! I would propose the following for CMSF.

Now it seems to me that the Mosewheel is way too valuable to limit it to control just one thing. I would propose that the mousewheel would normally be made to control one of three things.

1. Map elevation with pull back increased altituide/push down decreases altitude.

2. Left/Right Rotation with pull back rotates view to the right (i.e. pixels move leftward) and push forward rotates view to the left.

3. Forward/Backward with push forward moves forward and pull back moves backward.

These three mouewheel control modes would be stepped through by pushing down on the mousewheel (i.e. the mousewheel button). The current control would be displayed soewhere on the control panael at the bottom. Two additional mousewheel controls options would also be selectable by buttons on the control panel.

1. Tilt Up/Tilt Down with the forward mousewheel motion controling tilt down and the backward controlling tilt up.

2. Unit step with each click forward decrements the unit selected (like the - key in CM1) and each click back increments the unit slected (like the + key in CM1).

Clicking on the mousewheel button would return the the last of the three above mnetioned normal mousewheel functions selected.

It would seem to me that something like this is the best way to put a most under utilized but valuable controller to full use and shouldn't be that hard to program.

Anybody agree or disagree?