TacAI issues?

Have to say I'm well impressed with CMSF so far. However, the one area that is proving a bit troublesome to figure out is the TacAI. My infantry squads seem very hesitant to use their underbarrel grenade launchers and AT4s.

As an example - on the training mission (second one in the campaign I think) where the player is tasked with taking out 2 enemy bunkers and 3 tanks, I was able to acquire the Javelin launch units and missiles no problem. Once dismounted the Javelin gunners ID'd the tanks and engaged. They killed two tanks with one volley (doubling-up on one tank), then fired another volley - all 3 missiles against one tank. Needless to say that did the trick, though I would assume in real-life there would be better coordination to avoid needlessly wasting missiles.

Then I ordered the teams to engage the bunkers. No go. Tried a variety of methods (assigning fire arcs etc), still no result. I ended up deciding to conduct a little experiment. I ordered one squad to move closer to the bunkers. They did engage the bunkers, but only with small arms. It wasn't until I got within 100 metres that the Javelin gunner fired and took it out. Attention switched to the next bunker - the squad stuck with small arms. They didn't use any of their AT4s and they only fired one 40mm grenade launcher round. I've noticed this in other battles - never yet seen an AT4 being used against infantry in buildings, and it's very rare to see a grenade launcher being used.

On a similar note, Strykers with Mk19's seem to be very reluctant to use them. I've assigned fire arcs and area and point target orders, but they only seem to fire once the range is down to around 100 metres or so (IIRC a Mk19 has an effective range of close to a kilometre). Odd thing is Strykers with the M2 mounted will quite happily open up on enemy positions.

Anyone else had this experience? Or I am making a mistake with orders etc?

I had the same "problem" the first time I tried the mission. It seemed that my squads was out of Javelins after engaging the tanks. Even splitting the squad in two with ATGM as one sub-squad didn't help.

I restarted the scenario and this time only allowed one squad to disembark to take out the three tanks. When they were gone I ordered the two other squads out and engaged the bunkers with out any problems.

Are you sure it was a Javelin and not an AT4? Because an AT4 has a maximum range of about 200 yards, and has best accuracy at around half that. It is basically a large LAW rocket, unguided, low muzzle velocity (like a bazooka). A Javelin, on the other hand, has 2 kilometer range with a full rocket motor and electro-optical guidance, and is a serious ATGM. To me the behavior you describe sounds perfectly realistic for an AT4.

My units also refused to spend the last Javelin in the tutorial. Perhaps they where saving it for a better target?

Jason, agains a stationary target you can fire a AT4 quite far with good accuracy, at lest 400m. Against a moving target I would still say 200m. It's maximum range is about 2 kilometres.

Had no problem getting them to wax the bunkers with the Javelin. And the Mk19? Wow, that thing is devastating. In fact Im amazed at how fast they react to my orders to use it, area fire, enemy targets etc. Hell I've used other units to spot specific enemies, then used area fire from the 19 to wipe them out. Very impressive.

Some have mentioned that the Javelins may not be fired at bunkers that are empty.

Dunoo..

In the first mission in the campaign, I equipped my grunts with javelins and put them on that embankment by the spawn. They seemed perfectly willing to shoot their missiles at bunkers as well as tank. Perhaps the TacAI doesn't want to spend its _last_ missile on just a bunker. It seems to me that if they have more than one, they shoot at bunkers just fine.

As for M203s, my men love to use them. I've seen them shower BTR-60s with grenades and even shoot at T-72s with them

We really need a consolidated bug and request thread where known issues can be listed (both for the players' and BF's sake).

Adding to this thread though;

TAC AI

- Lacks self preservation

Not getting out of LOS, doing tactical retreats, etc. when badly outgunned.

- Doesn't adequatly use the weapons available

Esp. grenade launchers/hand thrown grenades, but also AT assets; goes both for vehicles and regular troops. Mostly it's only when issued explicit targetting orders that the heavy stuff gets used.

- Pathfinding

Atrocious - at least needs to show the player all the steps the unit plan to move through, so that you can cancel it if it puts the unit in severe danger or risque.

Command queuing

- Very fidgety. Best solution probably would be to ask for a facing direction if the player puts down the waypoint with, for instance, at Shift+Click.

- Target Arc is relative to the unit's facing direction, while the Face command is an absolute spot. They should both work the same way (preferrably the latter one).

- Target arc doesn't seem to do anything. Units do fire beyond and beside it, and hiding units do not fire at spotted enemies within it.