Problem Running CMBB

Hop5

HI- I have a Pen III 500, W98, DirectX8.1, NVidia RIVA TNT card(File Version 4.10.01.0107, Date 1-26-1999-does this card have enough memory, I can't tell) and I was able to download CMBB. I got as far as choosing the scenarios but when it starts the screen gets stuck on the part where it says "Loading 3-D Graphics". I am able to hear sounds and see the tool bar were the "Hotkeys and Ceasefire" is located but the rest of the screen is black with the "Loading 3-D Graphics" still visible; one dot blinking. Can someone tell me what I can do or at least tell me if I will be able to run the game? Thanks

More than likely your TNT should work with CMBB. I'd guess that your video card has 8 to 16Mb of VRAM which is enough. Your video driver is a bit dated and you may want to update it.

If you have a true Riva TNT, then the latest version of the NVidia Detonator driver that you can use is 29.20. Newer versions of the Detonators no longer support the first TNT's (NV4). You can get the 29.20's from Guru 3D (Videocard Drivers > NVidia detonator drivers > second page of driver listings should have the 29.20's for Win9x).

I suggest that you first uninstall your current video drivers via the Add/Remove Programs control panel or removing the Display Adapter device (the TNT listed underneath it) in the Device Manager. After rebooting and either not installing a video card or selecting a SVGA adapter, then you can install the newer drivers.

If you need more detailed instructions let me know.

Hi again,

Thanks Rob-I found that out too.

Mr S.

I have downloaded Win9x 29.20. It is a zip file.

Can you tell me what I need to do(I have Win zip)

I want to run by you what I am planning on doing.

I found the Display Adapter device and broke out it to find Nvidia Riva TNT. I will need to click on it and then click on remove(can I still get it back if this does not work?-where does it go.)

What do I do then with the zip file?

Hop5,

I was having the same problem you were, probably the same video card. I had given up and purchased a new card just for CMBB. I ran across this thread, downloaded the zip file and ran it. I unzipped to a temp directory. There is a readme file with gives detailed instructions on how to unload the prior video driver and how to load the new one. If you follow them, you should have no problem. I am now back up and running, the CMBB demo works and I will return the new video card tommorow!!

Speedbump