CMAK training mission for CMSF

Hi Guys

I whipped up this little mission to help you familiarize yourself with tactics that might prove useful in CMSF. The basics of this kind of WWII fight and (without knowing the mechanics of a CM:SF game) a modern fight should be pretty similar.

Think about conservation of forces, how to deal with an ATGM, when to attack mounted and when to attack dismounted, how to use the MGS platoon and attached mortars, etc.

The Germans have a panzergrenadier company kitted out to have similar capabilities as a Stryker company. You'll have a sniper section, three infantry platoons (each with four Strykers cum SdKfz251s, three infantry squads and a weapon squad with an MG42 HMG and Panzerschreck to simulate M240s and a Javelin) an 81mm mortar section and an MGS platoon.

You face an entrenched platoon-sized element of militia with an ATGM (17lb AT gun) and some other elements.

Let me know what you guys think of it - I made the Stryker company veterans and the militia are green. I didn't do a whole lot of testing, so comments and questions are welcome.

Download link (scroll to the bottom, select free - you'll have to wait like 20 seconds to DL)

Back in May I made a battle for CMAK from the US side. It is available at TPG

Titled "Lebanon Tutorial"

Map by The Enigma "mogadishu map" at the-proving-grounds.com

Description:

A tutorial battle with troops and a mix of armour vs a weak enemy. City and long range fighting. Dust, smoke, speed and power.

Features Veteran infantry, T8 recon as M113, Chaffee as Bradley, M20 as Humvee, Churchills and M4 105s vs Tigers, AT teams, FJ, green troops.

Overall briefing:

Title: Lebanon Tutorial

Type: Allied Attack Fictional

Turns: 30+

Forces: USA Vet vs Syria Green (German)

Size: Medium 5500 Points

Date: May 200? (May 1943)

Conditions: Dawn, Clear, Very Dry, Still, Sand

Play As: Allies vs AI

Stick to Scenario Default FOW Full

Map by The Enigma "mogadishu map" at the-proving-grounds.com

By junk2drive@hotmail.com

After a full withdrawal from Lebanon a defiant Syria decides once again to occupy it's neighbor.

In order to prevent further escalation of violence in the region, the USA mounts a full scale attack.

This battle depicts an amphibious landing at a port, driving North into enemy held territory.

Syria / Green

Syrian troops / FJ

Soviet supplied armour / Tiger

Fanatics / Tank Hunters

RPGs / PZShrecks

Americans / Veteran

Infantry / Rifle 44 /Rangers

M113 / T8 recon

Bradley / M24 Chaffee

Hummvee / M20 Scout

Abrams / Churchill XI

SP Arty / M4A3 105

Main Mission:

Town Hall

Train Station

Secondary:

Drive the insurgents out of the area.

The world media is watching you. Keep your losses to a minimum.

Spare the local infrastructure. No buildings are to be destroyed.

There are 5 small flags.

For each flag held:

1=Draw

2=Tactical Victory

3=Minor

4=Major

5=Total

If you lose more than half of:

Troops -1 level (ok vs casualties)

AFVs -1 level (10 or more)

Ten days ago I placed another battle by Rob Purvis for CMBO converted to CMAK:

Baghdad: 2003

Scenario Designer: Rob Purvis

Designed: February 2003

Converted to CMAK by junk2drive@hotmail.com

Adjustments made for changes in CMAK.

M26 replaced by M4 E8s

Ram Kangaroos by M3 Halftracks

Italian Airborne as Regular Army

German FJ as Republican Guard

MG42 by Breda MMG

Original text:

Overview:

D+3 The Conquest of Iraq

So far the attack on Iraq has gone better than planned. Resistance from Iraqi regular army units has been light in the open desert and country around the cities. Mass defections and surrenders have taken place. There has, as yet been no sign of the much vaunted Republican Guard. Iraq's oilfields are a flaming ruin (torched on Saddam's orders). However the awesome task of taking Iraq's largest cities awaits, and the regime seems to have selected these as the place for its last stand. Is the writing on the wall for Nebuchudnezzar?

Scenario Guide:

This scenario is an attempt to understand some of the tactical problems that may be faced if the war with Iraq currently anticipated involves an assault on built up areas, notably Baghdad. It is not a normal CMBO scenario. It is not intended to achieve play balance, fairness, a sumptuous map, but to give some small appreciation of the dangers of fighting in a built up area, when there is no political will behind you to enable you to use maximum force and where your opponent wishes to cause maximum casualties to you and his own populace.

Using CMBO as the engine for this is obviously a problem due to it being 50 years on. However, the grittiness of street fighting remains similar, and so there should be some parallels. Troop and vehicle selection have been done to reflect the qualitative training, equipment, morale differences between the two armies. Odds are roughly one of an assault with 2:1 superiority (11500 to 5000 in CMBO points: much of these due to high quality allied forces) to the Allied force. There is reinforcement of both sides during the scenario to reflect the arrival of Iraqi reinforcements from inside the city.

The Allies task is to breach the outer Anti-Tank and Anti-Personnel defences, which include an anti-tank berm and minefields, and fight into the city before the Iraqi reinforcements arrive to make life really difficult, and to do so with minimum loss of allied and civilian life and damage to buildings. For each large building that is rubble or burning at the end of the game, mentally subtract one point from your score. Similarly for every 20 allied soldiers KIA subtract one point, and for every 50 allied soldiers wounded subtract one point. See if you can still achieve a winning score! I think this extra pressure reflects the political difficulties under which field commanders will have to operate. Something which their WWII counterparts did not really face.

The Iraqis task is to frustrate this allied objective and make the entry to Baghdad as costly as possible. The more Iraqi civilian casualties the better, as that would be fodder to the Western Media and will give the Iraqi leadership moral ascendancy.

This scenario is not recommended for PBEM or TCPIP play due to its very large size. You would need broadband to cope with the downloads in a reasonable time frame. Play as allies to see how you could crush the resistance (recommended) or as the Iraqis to see how nasty you could make it. Default set ups are recommended to save time, and the Iraqi is padlocked to save time and to represent the inflexible orders of the higher command! Increasing or decreasing the AI's forces would be inadvisable as it would change the essential nature of the scenario, and if you are the allies you would spend the whole game clearing minefields under fire! Be warned - the Iraqi briefing is as useful as you would expect from the Iraqi high command.

fytinghellfish if this is hijacking let me know and I will delete and start my own thread.

I thought it best to keep them in the same thread.