Something about combat moral

Scipio

Well, I'm not sure if this is important for CM2x, I just thought it could be interesting.

Do you know the book "Stalinorgel" by Gerd Ledig? It describes a day at the Eastern Front, written by a real veteran, and I never readed something more realistic about combat moral (or the lack of it). I think it's realistic, since my father (who served in the Wehrmacht from February til May 1945 at the age of 16) gave me the same impressions in the few stories he told me.

A good read for everyone who ever wondered why paniced troops run around like headless chickens.

BTW, how will moral be handeled in CM2x? Will moral be simulated for each single men, or will the platoon be simulated 'in one piece'?

BTW, how will moral be handeled in CM2x? Will moral be simulated for each single men, or will the platoon be simulated 'in one piece'?
I know on the battlefield there has been many reports of lack of Morals, you know rape cattle, steal the buildings and burn the .... (er - do I have that right?)

I think maybe you mean Morale?

My feeling is they won't be breaking and running individually due to the hit on the game engine to start to spawn NEW individual entities (even if they are out of the player's control) broken off from the main squad or team.

But I could be wrong.

-tom w

[ September 23, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I remember from the acient times a game series called 'Close Combat' ;) . IIRC, single soldiers could break and run around, sometimes they even rejoined there squad. Close Combat was of course a smaller scale with only few units, compared to CM.

Would be a realistic feature, but I guess we than would also need a different system of command and control. Generally, each NCO with good leader abilities should be able to rally troops and lead them back into battle, no matter if they were under his command before.

I have seen this happen in a lot of war movies already, so it must be realistic!!! ;)

Originally posted by Scipio:

Why have I expected that somebody would bring this up???

NKWD would be maybe realistic. The Axis would be surely pleased about the extra points, when the Soviets start to kill the own men.

My point is, there is a level of realism that we're probably better off not reaching. Individual soldiers running around screaming and panicing, or holding their heads in their hands, rocking and sobbing incontrollably, or shooting themselves in the head - I don't really want to see any of that happening - it puts the disturbing side of war into the game, if you go that far, you might as well model NKVD blocking units mowing down routed troops - it is pretty tame in comparison.

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

Why have I expected that somebody would bring this up???

NKWD would be maybe realistic. The Axis would be surely pleased about the extra points, when the Soviets start to kill the own men.

... it puts the disturbing side of war into the game... </font>