New Nvidia 162.22 and 163.11 64-bit drivers

To Rune or anyone else with 8800 GTX and running Vista 64. NVidia has released new drivers... are you usinging them, and if so do hey cure the graphical issues with ths game?

Also you said you needed to turn off shadows which is fine, but you also said you need to turn off a driver option. Could you clarify, I play Many other games besides CM, so I don't want to toggle low lever driver settings everytime I play, or is it something that is exposed in the video options of the game.

I really want this game, but it is hard to drop $50 on a wish that it will work without more hassles than it is worth.

Thanks,

Marc

In case you (or others) are unaware, you can configure per-application settings for both Nvidia and ATI cards.

I do that all the time to force higher level settings for older games that don't provide the options themselves. In the NVIDIA control panel it should be under the Advanced view as "Manage 3D Settings" or something. Then there should be a tab where you can add an application and specific settings for it.

I can't remember where the settings are in the ATI control panel, but there's similar options.

No, but I'll try to get to them this weekend. I did try the 162.04s, and there was no change, maybe they fixed some more issues.

Cameroon is correct, you can set up each game with its own settings. I have not any magic conbination yet.

Rune

Not our magic to fix it..it is nvidias. The problem with trying to code around it, is that nvidia make fix the problem and then the game is broke again. Remember, I have the 7800 card, not an 8800 card, but I even have issues with Vista 64, an identical commputer running Vista 32 does NOT have the problem. [shrug]

Rune

Originally posted by Cameroon:

In case you (or others) are unaware, you can configure per-application settings for both Nvidia and ATI cards.

As I was writing my initial post I was wondering if this feature was in the drivers. I vaugely recall seeing it once and wondering why anyone would use it... now I know why. smile.gif

Ok that is cool. I was seriously considering moving to Vista 32, but as long as it works acceptably with little back and forth.. I guess I will take the plunge.

Thanks for you info folks. I guess I will be laying this and Guitar Hero II 80's edition come Late July!

Marc

Originally posted by rune:

Not our magic to fix it..it is nvidias. The problem with trying to code around it, is that nvidia make fix the problem and then the game is broke again. Remember, I have the 7800 card, not an 8800 card, but I even have issues with Vista 64, an identical commputer running Vista 32 does NOT have the problem. [shrug]

Rune

Rune, overall which card (ATI or nVidia) has less issues with CMSF?

I do that all the time to force higher level settings for older games that don't provide the options themselves. In the NVIDIA control panel it should be under the Advanced view as "Manage 3D Settings" or something. Then there should be a tab where you can add an application and specific settings for it.

I can't remember where the settings are in the ATI control panel, but there's similar options.

Is it just me or does this not always work for CMAK/CMBB? I have a Nvidia 6800GT and made profiles for both CMAK/BB and the settings I use is 4x AA and 8x anisotropic filtering. But sometimes the settings just don't take when I boot up a game. Am I missing something or does anybody else experience this?

My driver version is 93.71 and tried the newer 94.24 drivers, but the problem still exists.

Well, conceivably the CMx1 engine could be called "quite old" ;) My experience is that the settings just don't make a huge impact, but that they are on. I think part of that is that not all the calls that CMx1 makes follow the code paths that result in anti-aliasing, etc. That is, I think the drivers don't get a chance.

Well, conceivably the CMx1 engine could be called "quite old" ;) My experience is that the settings just don't make a huge impact, but that they are on. I think part of that is that not all the calls that CMx1 makes follow the code paths that result in anti-aliasing, etc. That is, I think the drivers don't get a chance.

Hmm, have you played CMAK/BB with full AA/AF settings on? There's a huge difference and is easily noticeable when they aren't on. The CM games run fine with these settings on, no doubt about that. I think it's with the Nvidia profile feature that seems to be the problem.

It's suppose to enable settings, like AA and AF, on a per game basis. So everytime you boot up a CM game you don't have to manually enable these settings.

Problem is, it's basically a coin flip for this feature to work with CM games. Sometimes the game boots up with the settings on and sometimes it doesn't. :confused:

*shrug* I dunno, the difference after 2x AA always seemed marginal for the CMx1 games. I don't recall having the issue you're having with it sometimes not being on at all.

I haven't any of the CMs in a while, though, because the camera controls just felt clunky and after seeing the shots of CMSF it's tough to look at the older gfx ;)