Why can't you tell units what weapon to use??

This is probably the worse aspect of the game for me. I have yet to see a javelin used or a Stryker use any atg capability it has. I don't understand why they decided not to allow you to choose what weapons your units should use.

It seems a tremendous waste as well as not being fun. What is the reasoning behind it?

Ok, well first of all, make sure that your teams have the Launch Module and the Launch Tubes...

I never had a problem getting the Javs to fire... as long as you're not targeting an empty plot of grass the TacAI will get them fired away. I've leveled entire city blocks with a platoon worth of Javelins by just telling the squads to target buildings. Also keep in mind they won't fire automatically at sort targets, although I'm not sure how high enemy ATGM teams are on the TacAI list.

If you'd still like more control over them, why not separate the AT Team from the rest of the squad? That'll more or less produce a dedicated Javelin Team.

There is a thread in the tactics forum about this. There seems to be a problem. My BMPs won't fire ATGMs at Strykers. Also today I had to manually target a T-72 5 consecutive times to kill five Strykers within 150m. Without manual targetting it just sat there firing coax.

Maybe the extended manual will help, but in my case both units were in range, not within minimum range, and one (the BMP) ignored manual targetting commands. It used up its entire 30mm AP ammo on a group of Strykers without loosing a single AT-5.

Also Bradleys don't appear to fire TOWs with manual targetting. Maybe CMSF uses different minimum ranges, who knows, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Interesting that in both the case of the T-72 and the BMP they were targetting Strykers. Maybe they save the heavy stuff for tanks, but that seems a tad conservative when you're facing a gaggle of fat, juicy troop carriers and nothing else is around.

Note I'm not talking about Javelins, I've read the manual and played the tutorial, those work fine for me. I don't think it's gamey to order units to use specific weapons systems. It reminds me of tungsten in CMx1, which I never had a problem with--but in CMSF units seem a little too conservative about using certain types of ammo. Granted BMP-2s only come with 5 ATGM rounds, iirc.

[ July 31, 2007, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: konstantine ]