Pathfinding. The fun killer.

Hukka

I know this issue is well known, but I'd like to know if there's major improvement in pathfining in the next patch or should I wait more.

I'm really REALLY trying to like this game and I like it a lot when I don't have to move my units, but when I try to move my strykers trough something narrower than 100 meters of clear space the driver goes all crazy. The pathfinding in CM:SF is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E at the current state.

It kills the whole idea of real-time playing when I have to babysit every unit all the time. Sometimes I find my vehicles driving somewhere far away on the desert when I just tried to go through a gate or something...

Here's an example. I tried to move with my stryker through the gate to the yard. Well it took something like 5 minutes and I still couldn't do it, so I had to take the risk and move the infantry from the nearby building's roof and run through the yard to the barracks at the left. Luckily they made it alive this time.

pathfinding.jpg

There's an amazing amount of potential in this game. I just hope battlefront can smash the bugs that unfortunately - at the current state - makes the game pretty much unplayable for me. There's just too much frustration now.

I know this issue is well known, but I'd like to know if there's major improvement in pathfining in the next patch or should I wait more.

I'm really REALLY trying to like this game and I like it a lot when I don't have to move my units, but when I try to move my strykers trough something narrower than 100 meters of clear space the driver goes all crazy. The pathfinding in CM:SF is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E at the current state.

It kills the whole idea of real-time playing when I have to babysit every unit all the time. Sometimes I find my vehicles driving somewhere far away on the desert when I just tried to go through a gate or something...

Here's an example. I tried to move with my stryker through the gate to the yard. Well it took something like 5 minutes and I still couldn't do it, so I had to take the risk and move the infantry from the nearby building's roof and run through the yard to the barracks at the left. Luckily they made it alive this time.

pathfinding.jpg

There's an amazing amount of potential in this game. I just hope battlefront can smash the bugs that unfortunately - at the current state - makes the game pretty much unplayable for me. There's just too much frustration now.

pathfinding.jpg

Have you tried plotting various closer waypoints? It usually works for me. Is a no brainer for infantry (they regroup and stop at each waypoint, which sucks if it's in the open, specially with current AI unhability to seek cover and selfpreservation, even if its a little bit better in 1.02) but for vehicles is perfectly possible.

The "faster the command" and the more pronunced turning degrees, the weirdest the vehicles will behave; have this in mind. So try to not use things like 90 degree turning (only is you are using "slow") or 45-60 ("move").

If you want them to follow a straigh line, use more waypoints.

I know even this way sometimes weir things happen (specially when there are terrain features which difficult vehicle movement or steepy terrain), but is not as bad this way.

Have you tried plotting various closer waypoints? It usually works for me. Is a no brainer for infantry (they regroup and stop at each waypoint, which sucks if it's in the open, specially with current AI unhability to seek cover and selfpreservation, even if its a little bit better in 1.02) but for vehicles is perfectly possible.

The "faster the command" and the more pronunced turning degrees, the weirdest the vehicles will behave; have this in mind. So try to not use things like 90 degree turning (only is you are using "slow") or 45-60 ("move").

I know even this way sometimes weir things happen (specially when there are terrain features which difficult vehicle movement or steepy terrain), but is not as bad this way.

Well I tried to everything: I tried to go with speed through, I tried with slow with many waypoints. The stryker just started to turn near the gate and started to drive to side along the wall.

BTW, I think it's a bit stupid that when my mission is to secure the barracks I can still bombard them to the ground. smile.gif I really love the artillery modelling in CM:SF.

edit: added the last paragraph

[ August 12, 2007, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Hukka ]

Well I tried to everything: I tried to go with speed through, I tried with slow with many waypoints. The stryker just started to turn near the gate and started to drive to side along the wall.

BTW, I think it's a bit stupid that when my mission is to secure the barracks I can still bombard them to the ground. smile.gif I really love the artillery modelling in CM:SF.

I just witnessed a BMP-2 going through a wall cutting it through a building, penetrating a second building and going out to other side of the apartment block finally going through another wall again into the freedom of the streets. I had just ordered it to go 100m straight ahead a perfectly nice and flat street. Well..umhh :rolleyes:

I just witnessed a BMP-2 going through a wall cutting it through a building, penetrating a second building and going out to other side of the apartment block finally going through another wall again into the freedom of the streets. I had just ordered it to go 100m straight ahead a perfectly nice and flat street. Well..umhh :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I haven't tried yet but can vehicles not push each other around like in CMx1?

I guess not, or at least you can't push enemy vehicles it seems. I tried to place a "fast" line through the pickup, but it only made my stryker to turn around and try to find another route which there wasn't.

I guess not, or at least you can't push enemy vehicles it seems. I tried to place a "fast" line through the pickup, but it only made my stryker to turn around and try to find another route which there wasn't.