TacAI Smarter in smaller scenarios?

I was just playing a battle made by James Allen called "As Suwayda" and I was surprised to see the tacAI reacting better to incoming fire, the soldiers actually tried to find cover.

They also seemed to shoot at enemy troops that crrossed in front of them in the distance.

In bigger scenarios I didn't see such things happen.

Does the AI dependant on scenario size? the bigger the scenario the harder it is for the computer to calculate so the AI suffers?

If you think AI isn't good enough. Try a scenario against elite Blue forces playing as Syrian defender. The AI is only as good as the simulated units quality.

I'm having a slight problem getting the AI to use fire support however. Must be missing something.

That depends entirely on the scenario and how large the mission areas are in the AI plan. You can for example have the AI "Assault area" as large as the entire map if you want. At least CMSF got hardcoded tactical AI that can improvise. Most games have AI that only follow paths.