Cover arcs don't work

Mr Byte

I am playing in a PBEM and set several cover arcs with the units hiding

as the game progressed I saw the enemy move through the cover arcs without triggering the covering units

so I setup a test in WEGO I set a machinegun in a building with a hide command and a cover arc and a RPG team with a hide and a cover arc

First a sent a infantry unit through the cover arcs ....nothing I had them stand there a while nothing so then I moved them off and unhid the machine gun moved the infantry back and nothing no machine gun fire but the infantry spotted the unhidden machine gun

next I sent a stryker through the RPGs cover arc ...nothing I stopped it in the cover arc ...nothing

I un hid the RPG team and sent the Stryker back it sat in the cover arc for 15 - 20 seconds before finally the RPG team opened up with AKs and eventually a RPG

though what use the cover arc is, is beyond me a moving Stryker would have passed by and dissapeared long before there was a reaction from the RPG team, and as I had parked the stryker just in front of the RPG team I really cannot say the cover arc is what finally triggered them to actually fire.

I' not saying I have done extensive tests here but I am saying I suspect cover acrs don't work and need further testing

I have found that units will move into a position to fire into a designated "cover arc" if they are out of position. However, I have not found they will consistently engage targets without user intervention when they (seemingly) should.

Perhaps the spotting requirements for AI fire are greater than for user assigned fire...who knows?

just did a little more testing

I set up a straight road with houses either side of it in the houses I placed squads of Syrians

then I gave all but one squad a hide AND a cover arc

then I used the MOVE command to walk a US infantry unit along the road

they made it all the way through until they got to the squad without the HIDE command then they were cut down

conclusion you cannot use hide AND Cover arcs together