Camouflage And Hiding

Originally posted by mav1:

Afv's don't get much camouflage protection against anything, not just aircraft. If you can hide a 128mm german anti tank gun that's almost as big as a stugIII. Then why can't you hide a stugIII as well as the 128mm gun?

You just have to accept the fact that CM treats different weapons types differently. Another example that people have commented upon many times in the past, is that a crew will abandon a mortar, but a MG crew never will. A mortar is in the "gun type" and the MG is in the infantry or small arms type. The MG situation could be easily changed, perhaps, but your example would be more difficult, because they would have to give a "profile" to guns to start matching them with the profile of AFVs. At some point, you just have to accept that the game cannot efficiently account for all those gray area situations.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

SteveP,

Just because thats how they are treated in CM1 doesn't mean that CM:SF needs to follow suit, I'd be happier with a system based on size rather than class, and one that treated a mortar like an HMG.

Peter.

All that remains to be seen, of course. My guess is that the disparity between MGs and small mortars will be corrected, at least to some extent. My real point was the difficulty of treating small profile or small size AFVs the same as large guns (which do not have a profile rating) for ease of being spotted. For all I know, it may be easy to give guns a profile rating that is consistent with AFV ratings. Or it may be a similar problem to trying to equate the effects of the BV of a small mortar shell with the effects of the FP of a high caliber HMG, even though IRL the effects were probably very similar. I don't know how that will play out in CM2.