Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Vista 32Bit?

I have Vista 64 and an Nvidia 8800 gtx. How bad are the drivers... Ok, slow, or Unplayable.

So far all other modern games I have played (Supreeme Commander/Company of Heroes/QuakeWars) have all played great. I want to support this company (have bought 3 of the previous Combat Mission games all direct mail) but I want them to support my setup also.

Also is it official that there is no Random map generation that was the only way I played the previous games (head to head with friends). If one of use makes a map then...well the guy who makes it has a bit of an advantage ay?

Can't answer the Drivers ?, but one can hope driver updates will fix this problem before long.

In re: random maps, but it was definitively announced a while back that there will be no random map generator.

Reason given was that, with the dramatically increased resolution and detail of the maps, creating program a program that could create even half decent random maps became vastly more complicated and time consuming. We'd be waiting additional months for release to have this feature was in the game.

Loss of random maps is unfortunate, but I think the additional map resolution and terrain features are well worth the price.

I suspect you'll find that, within a few months of release there will be dozens, probably hundreds of player-created maps available for download at various fan websites. So I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a "double blind" map for head-to-head play.

Map making is a lot different then CMX1. You have to think in contour lines and not in elevation for squares. Building can be combined and walls removed to make different shaped buildings, flavor objects can be put down and moved.

The AI plans take some time to do correctly. Some of my scenarios I have 4-5 plans some with 8 groups of units. The scenarios could play different 4-5 times. [if the type didn't repeat].

All together one of the testers said "the map editor is a game in itself", a quote to which I like.

Rune

Ok, Bummer, the WarGammer review mentioned random maps I thought, bummer. So that leaves me with one of the other questions then, plus now a bonus question.

Any word on how bad the driver issue is (I recall in combat mission my ATI drivers had text issues that did not get resolved for ages).

And two if there are no random maps, are there any simple maps like generic meeting egagement maps, or assault stuff where we get to choose our own weapons we bring, or will we be forced to bring only what the "historical" loadout should be.

THanks, and of course any idea when we can pre-order?

Mhertogh

Drivers are changing all the time, it works, but for me with Vista 64, I cannot have shadows. Haze works fine however.

There are maps for quick battles, I would NOT call them simple. I made a few just for QBs and a few of the other guys did too.

rune