How modular will the CMx2 modules be?

FinnN

Once modules start appearing will you be able to use all the content interchangably? For example, let's say Normandy, Russian front and Pacific islands make it out as modules - if you own all three will you be able to grab Soviet units and Japanese units to play against each other? Or will they be non-interchangeable like in the CMx1 games?

I'm not expecting modules for modern CMx2 and WW2 CMx2 (which is what I'm personally interested in) to be mix-and-matchable - so no javelins for clearing the valley of king tigers for example.

Have fun

Finn

IIRC, when it was last discussed on this forum, the modules would be integral to each game, so the forces for any module for CM:SF could be used against any other.

They will not, however, be anything like as broad in scope as what you are suggesting. CMX2 WW2, for example, will most likely be a single theatre only, probably only a single campaign, with the modules adding more content to the existing operation.

So the Ardennes, or Normandy, or Bagration, or possibly as broad the Italian campaign, but only after all the modules are accounted for.

I've often thought about how past military equipment would fair against modern equipment. I like to imagine how one trained guy with heavy modern body armor and one M240 MMG would fare in pre 1900s battles. With enough ammo, parts and maintenance people, you could probably rule an ancient kingdom with a platoon of modern MBTs.

Originally posted by Statisoris:

I've often thought about how past military equipment would fair against modern equipment. I like to imagine how one trained guy with heavy modern body armor and one M240 MMG would fare in pre 1900s battles. With enough ammo, parts and maintenance people, you could probably rule an ancient kingdom with a platoon of modern MBTs.

There's a fair number of books written in the genre of modern weapons thrown back into pre-industrial society.

Janissaries

Guns of the South

Lost Regiment Series

are a few good ones.

For "modern" vs. WWII equipment, there is The Axis of Time series as well as The Worldwar Series (which is an alien invasion during WWII where the aliens essentially have contemporary late 20th century military technology).

Gamewise, Steel Panthers 2 and 3 (and MBT, to an extent) IIRC let you set up battles between modern and WW2 equipment, as did Norm Koger's Tanks! (And the Operational Art of War, on a larger scale).

--Philistine