MMG teams

c3k

Gents,

Forgive me if this has been mentioned (and buried) elsewhere.

I've played a bit and am now going through the Training Campaign at the lowest difficulty setting.

I unloaded my two MMG teams on a small hillock and noticed behavior which didn't seem consistent.

(First, and very parenthetically, why does one team consist of 3 men and the other 4? I see the 4-man team has a commander, why doesn't the other?)

Anyway, this is what happened: the Stryker with the MMG teams had enemy units at its 11 o'clock. I unloaded both MMG teams to the Stryker's 6 o'clock and 30 meters. The teams lay down facing the way they'd moved, to the Stryker's 6 o'clock.

There, the teams ignored the enemy. WTF?

Oh, I guess that default behavior is alright. I need to give them a TARGET order. I did so. Pointing to the enemy at the MMG's 5 o'clock (the same one which was located relative to the Stryker's 11 o'clock.) The MMG's DID NOT TURN OR MOVE OR ENGAGE THE ENEMY.

Finally, I selected the deploy weapon order. Okay, now we have MMG's on tripods.

(BTW, the gunner's hands are mis-positioned on the M240B's. It seems the weapon should be slid back about a foot.)

Again, they ignored the TARGET order pointing at their 5 o'clock.

Finally, minutes later, I found the FACE command. NOT located as a movement, but under a TARGET menu. To use it, I had to first CLEAR TARGET, then FACE to 5 o'clock. A minute later, I was able to again select TARGET.

WTF???

Why, after I specifically select a TARGET do the MMG teams NOT engage that target? Facing to engage should be part of the same routine.

If that can't be done, why should FACE and TARGET be mutually exclusive?

FACE, rotating in place, would seem to more properly be a MOVE command.

Am I the first to find this to be flaw? (or, to avoid sounding rude, perhaps I should call it "a sub-optimal command arrangement"?)

Thanks,

Ken

Originally posted by c3k:

(First, and very parenthetically, why does one team consist of 3 men and the other 4? I see the 4-man team has a commander, why doesn't the other?)

This is an easy one. ;) Both teams are actually part of the same squad, consisting of two MMG teams (gunner, assistant gunner and ammo bearer) plus the squad leader. CM:SF prefers no more than one heavy weapon per unit however, so the squad has been permanently split into two teams. The squad leader has to go somewhere, so he is just arbitrarily assigned to one of the teams. See the "WPNS SQUAD" at the bottom right of the TO&E below:

stryker-co.jpg

Cpl Steiner,

Thank you! I'd assumed it was TO&E issue.

Of course, if we're to use a high fidelity model for TO&E, why doesn't my Platoon HQ have 5 guys?

(Oh, alright: I'm the FO, the MED isn't needed. Solved.)

I'm still wondering why my friggin' gunners don't understand to rotate to fire on the target they've been assigned. <shrug> v1.05....

Thanks,

Ken