Crappy FSAA with ATI 9800

Anyone know of a fix for this?

I have all FSAA and AF settings maxed (6xFSAA, 16xAF) and still get a shimmering effect on trees, roofs, buildings, doodads, you name it.

I had a Geforce Ti4600 that I replaced a few months ago (bad memory) that had some incredibly smooth FSAA in CM compared to what I'm getting now.

Using the Catalyst 4.3 drivers, Radeon 9800 (non-pro) on Windows XP Pro SP1.

Any advice/tips/tricks would be appreciated.

All of the PC-based Radeon cards from 9500 series on up only support multi-sampling AA. This does wonders for object edges, but can't do anything with textures such as the roofs as well as transparencies like the trees. Your Geforce card supports supersampling (actually mixed MS/SS modes) which handles both edge and texture aliasing, though the Radeon edge AA is better, especially with gamma correct.

Unfortunately supersampling is much more bandwidth intensive than multi-sampling, so I don't know that ATI will ever return to SS (it drags down performance a lot); even the upcoming Geforce cards reportedly will be more MS-oriented for its AA, though they may still retain some mixed SS modes.

One option may be to turn the resolution to as high as your monitor will support and run CM in that mode (you'll have to switch your desktop to that res or higher beforehand to get CM to run in that resolution, though). This can help lessen some of the texture sparkling that you see.

I'm still waiting for someone to implement a Voodoo-5 style rotated grid supersampling mode, which was gorgeous (but slow) in CM. But I'm not holding my breath for it. :(

- Chris