Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tunguska = ruined day

It's not the Hellfire you have to worry about; it's HARM-type weapons.

If you don't turn your radar on, a big-IR signature vehicle like that gets nailed from 40,000 feet and 10 klicks by a JDAM, cruise missile, or some other such nasty. The second you turn the radar on, every JSTAR and Wild Weasel team within 200km knows exactly where you are.

Overall, the side with air supremacy has a tremendous advantage because they choose where and when to challenge the ground-based AA defenses. Time is on their side. Pick away at the edges, eliminate the outermost weak links, until gradually the whole thing opens up.

It's in a situation where neither side is able to attain total air-to-air supremacy that such a weapon might be more useful.

Cheers,

YD

Nidan1,

Considering we tried to build just an AA tank and failed miserably, in the U.S., I'm not gloating.

Make no mistake, that thing's an airplane and helicopter eater of the worst sort. Further, I bet it has significant self-defense capability against

JDAM, JSOW and maybe even HARM.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, I'm more excited by these new Active Denial Systems, that use microwave technology to make it uncomfortable for people.

Look at the [potential for something like that.

These old weapons systems may look sexy, but they are just so much scrap on a modern battlefield.