HP pavilon f1903 monitor

ZOR58

It just freezes on the 3D picture. I can sometimes get the screen to move before it freezes.

The screen came with a new driver and instructed me to change the display to 1280X1024 at 60Hz. I have a 651 SiS video board.

The only other thing I can think of is that I received some software fixes from Microsoft today.

The monitor 'profile' should only have data that tells the video driver which resolutions and refresh rates it supports. It doesn't change the video driver in any way.

You do not need to run at 1280x1024 at 60Hz if you don't want to. CM will run at a resolution that is specified in the Prefs file, which may be different from your desktop resolution of 1280x1024. I suggest changing your resolution back to what it was (if you prefer it that way, especially the vertical refresh rate, which at 60Hz may be a bit annoying to stare at).

Can you recall what 'software updates' you installed from Microsoft ? Were any of them video drivers for the SiS 650 ? If so, then that could be the major culprit.

I'm actually surprised that you can run CMBB with the SiS 651 video chip. I had problems with the SiS 650 chip and the drivers that were available at the time of CMBB's release (they would work with CMBO however). The SiS 650 should be quite similar to the 651, but SiS may have made enough changes to fix the problems that the 650 and some of its predecessors had graphically with CM.

You may want to download the latest drivers from SiS. Select "Driver Software" > 'Agree to Proceed' > SiS651 from the drop-down list and click 'Go' > click 'Go' on the next screen (Graphics is the selection in the drop-down list) > Get the 2.18 driver for XP dated 2003-3-18. Hopefully (but I'm not sure) this driver may fix your problem.

I suggest (if this was the actual cause) that you should be a bit more judicious in downloading driver updates from Microsoft. While they're usually OK; occasionally some of the 'WHQL' updates that Microsoft has posted aren't all that good for all of the games out there.

I don't seem to be able to get anything to download from this site. It loads some kind of winzip wizard then that is all. Where should the file go? I uninstalled to hotfix files which were all related to Windows Media Player. Also,

how do I check the version of DirectX I'm running?

Thanks.

You need to install a compression/decompression program like WinZip that can handle .zip archives; though Windows XP has this capability built-in (which I assume is what you're seeing with the 'zip wizard') and should allow you to extract all of the files.

I just checked on the SiS site and there is a brand new driver for XP (version 2.21) dated 2003-11-18. I suggest downloading that one (18Mb).

Once the files are extracted to a directory you can remember (i.e. - C:\DRIVERS\SIS, etc.) you can then run the 'SETUP.EXE' program in the main directory that is extracted. This should be the install for the drivers, though I'm not sure.

To my knowledge the Hotfixes for MediaPlayer shouldn't have made any difference to CM since they're security related to that executable only.

Following the instructions Monty posted above to launch DXDIAG you can click on the 'Display' tab and it will give you info on your video card and also allow you to perform some minor DirectX tests on your video. The Direct3D test is a good place to start to see if you have problems (though it may pass, you could still have some driver problems).