TCP/IP Hiccuph

CMBB and we both have the same patch. Each of us has a retail version. My friend hosts the game and I can play. He does not have a router but goes from his computer to a cable modem.

When I've tried to host, he says the game starts to download and then is gone. The same thing happens when I try to host with another guy; he says the same thing happens, but I can play when he hosts.

If I understand you correctly, you have no problems playing the CDV release of CMBB via TCP/IP when someone else acts as the host. But when you act as the host, other players seem to connect, but then drop the connection at some point during the download of the setup (the very first download of a TCP/IP game).

My only guess is that a router and/or a software firewall may be causing some sort of problem; most likely on your computer/connection (router). TCP Port 7023 needs to be opened for data traffic in both directions (incoming and outgoing). However it would seem that this is already the case if you can play another opponent via TCP/IP. That would suggest that your firewall (software or router-based) is only opening the port (TCP 7023) when you initiate the connection When you send out the data to the CMBB host opponent, the port is opened. When you try to host, you are waiting for a connection and the port may not be fully open (I'm not exactly sure how a port may not be "fully open"). It seems if your opponent could make a connection and start downloading data, it should be able to complete that if there are data connection problems; the port should be open if it can find the host CMBB game. But somehow the connection is getting dropped (I assume quite early in the download process).

My first suggestion would be to look over the documentation for opening ports in your firewall (software or router-based). Make sure that programs/computers outside of this firewall can go through it autonomously (i.e. - without you making a connection first) for the ports you have opened (specifically for TCP Port 7023).