Problems reading CD

TP17

I don't know if this a problem unique to me or if anyone else has had this. My CD arrived in England via a friend in the US, the install went fine until about 85% when it locked up. I sorted this out by downloading the extra files and the game runs well. My problem is when I place the CD in the drive, the drive light keeps flashing and seems to go into a loop. If I try to launch CMBB a no CD message comes up. If I go into my computer and it shows it is unable to read the CD.

This eventually locks the whole computer up. I get round this by inserting the CMBB disc, then restarting the machine. I can then access CMBB.

I have tried with disc detector on and off and it makes no difference. This is the only disc I have problems with, all my others, including some latest games work fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

If you can figure out what make/model of CD drive you have, try going to their website. You may be able to download a "firmware" update for your drive. This can sometimes solve problems with new CDs.

I've also had this problem sometimes. If the above doesn't work, you can try opening the "My Computer" link on the desktop, right-clicking on your CD drive, and selecting "eject". This will make sure Windows recognizes the CD tray is open. Then reinsert the CD, "refresh" the screen through the menu (or hit F5), and voila!, you should be able to see the CMBB icon for the disk (assuming there is one, I don't have CMBB). Then try to start CMBB. It should work.

BeWary

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I tried the refresh option, and it on inserting the CMBB disc the CD just spins, double click on D drive and it comes up D/ is not accessible, the device is not ready. Trying to launch the main programme it tells you to insert the CD.

Cheers

Some CD/DVD drive firmware apparently tries to read a number of different sectors on the CD. In this case it appears to have problems reading the end of the CD and thus won't recognize that there is in fact a CD in the drive.

You'll have to wait until a new CD is created that doesn't have this problem. Some drive firmware updates could possibly help with such a problem, usually because the CDR/CDRW drives usually get updates to handle different brands of CDR media. Such updates may affect this particular problem.

Thanks for the help chaps,

I will get my American contact to e mail you will the order number.

As an aside, it is a really cracking game and I suppose it is about as acurate as you can get without getting your ar*e shot off.

Thanks for your dedication in bringing a 1st class game