error when installing the game...

When I try installing CM on my one computers I get the message "error extracting support files" and I cannot contine with the setup.

The demo works fine and I never had any problems installing the demo.

I have a P266 mmx computer with 128 MB of memory and all the latest drivers.

Very strange that I cannot get the game to install from the disk but on the other hand had no problems with installing the demo.

BTW I had no problems installing CM on my other computer.

I hope someone can help me here

Thanks

RW

Guest MajorH

What version of Windows do you have on the computer that worked and what version is on the computer that failed?

Try using the manual installation procedure below - don't use the installer.

What you are going to do is to manually create on your hard drive the various folders that the game engine needs and then simpy drag copy the appropriate files into those folders from similarly named folders that are on the CD.

Manual installation procedure.

1. Insert the Combat Mission CD. If your computer automatically starts the Combat Mission installer then immediately cancel and exit the installer.

2. Create a folder titled 'CMBO' on your hard drive. Drag copy the file titled 'Combat Mission.exe' from the CD into the CMBO folder on your hard drive. Drag copy the file titled 'ReadMe.txt' on the CD into the CMBO folder on your hard drive.

3. Create a folder titled 'Bmp' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. Drag copy all of the files inside the CDROM folder titled 'Bmp' into the folder titled 'Bmp' on your hard drive.

4. Create a folder titled 'Mov' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. Drag copy the file inside the CD folder titled 'Mov' into the folder titled 'Mov' on your hard drive.

5. Create a folder titled 'Scenarios' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. Drag copy all of the files inside the CD folder titled 'Scenarios' into the folder titled 'Scenarios' on your hard drive.

6. Create a folder titled 'Wav' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. Drag copy all of the files inside the CD folder titled 'Wav' into the folder titled 'Wav' on your hard drive.

7. Create a folder titled 'Saved Games' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. There is nothing to copy into this folder. This folder will be empty until the game engine decides to place something inside of it.

8. Create a folder titled 'PBEM' inside the 'CMBO' folder on your hard drive. There is nothing to copy into this folder. This folder will be empty until the game engine decides to place something inside of it.

9. Leave the Combat Mission CD in your CDROM drive. Double click on the file on your hard drive titled 'Combat Mission.exe'. The game should start up and you can follow the screen instructions from here.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 06-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 06-23-2000).]

Guest MajorH

What version of Windows do you have on the computer that worked and what version is on the computer that failed?

We need information like this to track problem patterns and to help others who may have similar problems in the future.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Guest MajorH

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

After doing this for some years now I have come to expect any installer to fail mysteriously on a small percentage of computers but it still annoys the heck out of me smile.gif. Especially given that the installer building program that I use is very expensive to purchase and to maintain.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com