Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Screen resolution on Mac??

jz

G3 Mac upgraded to 500mhz. with Ultimate Rez card and 17" CRT monitor. If I open Overlord demo from desktop, I get full screen resolution except everything is shaded pea green. If I escape to desktop and then reopen game from finder I get the full correct color game screen except it's only little more than a quarter of my 17" screen and it's locked up in the uppper left hand corner. It is so small that I find it nearly impossible to play. I've tried changing rez's and #'s of colors before opening the game and it does nothing.

Sadly stuck in a green fog.

Help?

Thanks for the reply. I have OS 9.2.2 and the ix3D Ultimate Rez video card. Yes, I've trashed prefs and tried every rez from lowest to 1024x 768. When opening from desktop icon it always flickers a few times and then opens with the green hue at about 640x870 I think. If I close it and reopen it from the finder it will open in perfect color on my default 1024x768 screen but fill only a little more than a quarter of the screen.

Do you play at 1024 in thousands of colors? Does it fill the screen?

I think it'd be time to upgrade the card. It was a great card back then, but obsolete now. (except for 2D work)

Features of the card are availlable here:

MacAddict review

Basically it's ATI rage pro level stuff, 8 MB's of VRAM.

ixMicro went out of business a while back, I doubt the drivers are up to the standards CM requires.

I'd suggest you replace the card with ATI 7500 (or 9000 once it's availlable), that should give you a huge 3D, and some 2D speed improvement, at no great cost.

From the review, I understand it's possible to disable 3D acceleration. Doing that should allow you to play, even if with poor quality unaccelerated graphics.

I'd suggest going with Jarmo's recommendations on getting a newer ATI Radeon. The link Jarmo posted can eventually lead to the latest ixMicro drivers v. 2.00.616 (which you more than likely have). I'm not sure how applicable the TwinTurbo 128 drivers may be since the card is based on that video chip.

It's probably closer to the early Rage 128's in performance (or features), but an out-of-business company is always a bad sign for a product. As Jarmo said the drivers are a bit dated.

Does the control panel offer any settings for the card ? If you can disable 'hardware acceleration' then you should be able to play in 'software mode' at 640x480. It may not look as nice, but it will run.

Does your monitor provide information on the resolution, refresh rate and other signal properties in the On Screen Display (menu - OSD) ? Do you know what resolution you're playing at when the screen is pea-green ? And when it's crushed into the upper left corner ?

Thank You! I suspected it might be a video ram problem but it's been so long since buying that card I forgot how little ram it had. I'll head right over to ebay and see what's available from ATI.

Being an old Avalon Hill/ Strategy and Tactics gamer from the prehistoric 70's, I'm looking forward to playing Battlefront. To have such an active forum with SO MANY posts, this game must really be something...