BTS: Problems with Vortex1 A3D?

Hi guys..

Any known problems with this somewhat older type of sound card? I have the latest drivers, and the gold demo worked fine, but my game seems to be hanging quite frequently. I admit to having initially installing matt's mod pack, and I know that frequent restarts can corrupt things. Right now, I have completely deleted CM, deep scanned the HD and am defragging it. I will re-install without any mods and see how it works. Any thoughts?

Sys specs:

AMD K6-2 400MHz

Voodoo3 3000 AGP

vortex1 A3d sound card

128 meg mem

Thanks, Great Game!

Jonathan

Is it hanging doing anything specific (i.e. - does it always hang playing certain sounds or running movies, during the orders phase, etc.) ? Does the game seem to hang after playing it for a certain amount of time ? If you have any details about the nature of your lockups they may help.

One of the bigger differences between the Gold version and the Full version is that sound is sampled at 44kHz instead of 22kHz. This will tax your sound card a bit more and depending on your card's CPU utilization, slow down your machine (which may or may not be noticeable).

If you feel that your sound card is to blame, then you may want to try the latest drivers (which you may already have) these are the AMD 3D Now enhanced drivers for Win 9x:

http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drv_v19x-3d.htm

There is also the possibility that your sound card is sharing an IRQ with another device and the larger sound samples of the full version and pushing you system into lockup (that is strictly a guess though).

You will also want to shut down any other programs running in the background. Several people have reported problems running Outlook/Express in the background and having problems.

Thank you for the response! I was unaware of the site you mentioned, and I am downloading now. My drivers were from 9-99, but we shall see. The hangups initially seemed to be when I selected a particular unit, but they started occurring more indiscriminantly rather quickly. I like your thought about overwhelming the processor with the advanced sound scheme. Will replacing the drivers with the amd-enhanced ones you described overcome that, or do I need to get a soundblaster x-gamer?

Incidently, I opted to reinstall windows tonight, and after getting all my drivers installed and updated (sans the ones you recommended) and directx 7.0a as well, the game seems to be playing without hanging. However, now I am experiencing some slowdown and also after x amount of gameplay, the graphics suddenly deteriorate into black or maroon blocks. I have to restart the game to resolve the problem. Thoughts?

Thank you

Jonathan