Tiger armour 100+ oh and Quality 95%

What the hell does the + mean? All other vehicles seem to have exact armour thickness and slope, while a Tiger has a 100+/0 degrees.

Also how do you assess armour quality? When it says 95% does that mean if 100mm its really only equal to 95mm or does it mean there is a 5% chance that theres a weak spot in the armour?

Also how does HC work for Brit 95mm? Is it always a dead cert 125mm penetration? Hit a tiger at 890m with a 95mm HC round and all i got was turret hit no major damage! Surely I should have got a penetration!

If memory serves...

When drilled by the British for analysis, certain parts of the Tiger's frontal turret armor were actually slightly thicker than 100mm. Production variance, perhaps.

The armor quality rating has to do with production flaws in the steel itself - as Germany's late-war steel lowered in quality, so did it's armor rating. Yes, that means 100mm of armor at 95% quality is roughly equivalent to 95mm at full quality.

Penetrations at weak points simulate driver's binoculars, etc., other areas of the surface that weren't homogenous with the steel plate.

No, there's no such thing as a "dead cert" penetration in CMBO or CMBB, just like real life. While the range isn't a real factor for HC rounds, what was the angle? While a Tiger I's frontal armor isn't really sloped, was your vehicle on a hill? Did the shell "lob" in a up and down arc, instead of a relatively flat trajectory, giving the impact more angle? 'Cause it all gets measured, my friend. So now, it's a 20 degree angle (I speculate, of course, but you understand) on a Tiger I's thickess section of armor, which might be 105, 108mm.

While disappointed (did the beast get ya?), I wouldn't be crying technical foul. It's a borderline call, and you simply lost that particular roll of the randomized dice.

Hpt. Lisse

[ October 01, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Ahh cheers for the insight.

Well it was a 95mm firing which are very innaccurate at long distance, and does lob in a big arc, so I was pretty chuffed to hit it at 890meters, plus you only get a limited load of HC. Disapointed even more when the tiger reversed away and the Churchill was taken out by a PnzIV at 890m, which I suspect must have been a Jagdpanther to achieve such a feat.

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

If memory serves...

When drilled by the British for analysis, certain parts of the Tiger's frontal turret armor were actually slightly thicker than 100mm. Production variance, perhaps.

Hpt. Lisse

The Tiger mantlet thickness is 135mm on the rounded area directly around the gun, 140mm to 150mm thick on the flat areas where the gunner vision slit and machine gun poke out, and 100mm to 125mm at the extreme top and bottom.

While the tapered 100mm-to-125mm mantlet top and bottom seems to be the thinnest area, there is a 100mm plate directly in back of the area. Even with edge effects against armor piercing projectiles, the tapered top/bottom area of the mantlet is a tough nut to crack.

The above thicknesses are design thicknesses taken from German drawings.

If 95mm HEAT penetrates 127mm of vertical armor, the Tiger mantlet is not going to be defeated except once in a very long while.