MainlyInf

poesel

I pulled this thread out of the depth of the Sunday thread - not everyone might follow it.

There has been some discussion about a more infantry heavy scenario. The server is 'Creature Zoo', the mod is 'MainlyInf'. You find it here:

download

30 rifle, 15 ion, 15 HMG, 10 Cutter, 3 Mercurys, 3 76mm Paladins, 1 Thor HC and 5 Vipers. Deployables as usual.

The server is running only that scenario.

For anyone that has already downladed that file, please do so again to update the vehicle numbers.

Jby, I upped the numbers slightly against your proposal because I felt those were a bit low. You easily loose one vehicle especially if a bot snatches one. You also have more to kill when playing against the bots. smile.gif

Originally posted by poesel71:

Just FYI: the server is not running anymore. I had just two connects besides me so there seems not much interest in this mod.

I haven't been seeing it at all for several days. Was it still up? IIRC I downloaded the mod on the 14th and tried to play within a day or two but didn't see the server.

You might try just fiddling with the Inventory file rather than using a mod. Then people won't need to download and run a mod to join. (That's what I did for the "Palfest" server. (Which I may put up again now that I'm not getting unexpectedly disconnected several times an hour). Non-allowed items still show up on the Drop screen, but give a "Not allowed on this server" message.

Would an "Alternative Inventories" server work? "Base" mod, but each scenario in rotation has a different and non-standard inventory? (Some maps infantry-centric, some "Heavy mech", and others with Pals./Shrikes)

I guess the essential question is "Can scenario files be modified server-side only?"

For multiple variant inventories I think you'd not only have to have the altered inventory #s, but also new intro./objective messages for each map describing the inventory.

The usual solution is that you can download the mod automatically from the server you want to join or the server points you to a place to download if bandwidth is an issue.

Changing Base is not a good idea because hat will be overwritten by an update and it will confuse players who don't know its a mod (who reads the intro text anyway? smile.gif )

Rotating Inventories serverside might work if you only reduce it. If you add new units the clients won't know. Also: how do you (the OS) know that DT starts a new scenario?

The mod system is a good one as it keeps things sorted. It lacks only the download feature and - while I think about it - a version check for the mod. MD5 or something to check if the mod has changed.

Rotating Inventories serverside might work if you only reduce it. If you add new units the clients won't know. Also: how do you (the OS) know that DT starts a new scenario?

It won't allow for the addition of new units, but I thought you could specify an inventory the scenario file. (Umm... this. I don't know if the server and client can have different scenario files though, like they can have different Inventory files.)

The mod system is a good one as it keeps things sorted. It lacks only the download feature and

No disagreement from me that the mod system is a good one. OTOH, lacking that download feature, and if your needs are just a restricted inventory, then modifying the Inventory/scenario files on the server might be the way to go. It'd do the job (if the server-side scenario things works), and no one needs to find or download new files.

Hmm... you could even set up a batch file to switch in/out the proper files, depending on what sort of game you want the server to host.