Forcefields

Nick06

Mainly because it doesn't fit the backstory as far as I can tell.

Plus ... they're kind of boring. You want a vehicle with more armour? We can do that, and even handwave it away as nano-aligned iridium crystaline composite. Aside from a cool FX when its hit until something goes through, what does a non-local force effect grant?

(I might accept "it fries infantry on contact!" as a useful side-effect, but I'd rather have surface-mount milimetric-radar-triggered frag detonators on the sides of AFVs for that; it truly fits the retro-tech feel and appearance of the DT vehicle designs.)

Well it may not fit the story-line... Okay it really doesn't fit the story-line... My second idea was to have a deployable force field post. they could not be picked up by sensors but the would have a low distance. two force field posts would have to be next to each-other for the force field to work. infantry would not be harmed if the ran in to it. weaker bullets would not be able to penetrate the field nor would ion beams. basically it would be easily deployed hard to find and easy to destroy. Pretty balanced and not to high tech.

Well, as far as I can see, it'd be hard to deploy within effect distance, and with the ranges of things in DT, it'd be hard to get much use out of it. Either things end-run it, or they fire over it.

So, let's go back to base concepts: What do you want its purpose to be? If its movement interdiction, there's the discussion of Defensive Emplacements in the "Chaos vs Order" thread. What hasn't been discussed is an anti-ion effect base. Heavier physical rounds are taken out by ion-beam towers, so those are somewhat covered already.

Maybe what we need is some kind of aerosol or sandcaster that only interdicts ions? On further consideration, it might suffice to have smoke interdict ion beams and give the Mercury a smaller, more tactical smoke delivery like other Deployables.

Well i don't know if people would like them, or if they would be affective at all. I guess it would have to be up to the host of the match. there would be a slider in the control area or something. I think it would have to be up to the people...