Thor bottomplate armor

bjarmson

In a recent Ice Field objective game, I had momentarily captured (was inside) the fort. An enemy bot Thor trying to climb the wall got stuck vertically with its bottomplate completely exposed to my 120mm (I pumped 5to8 AP and HEAT rounds into its belly to no effect), and my 75mm and 20mm bots pumped hundreds of rounds into the stuck Thor to no effect (it just didn't die). Thinking that the enemy Thor was a least stuck, I stopped worrying about it. After several minutes (with my 20mm bot firing away most of this time), I suddenly notice it slide back down the side. It then proceeded to come in the nearest opening and kill my Thor. WTF. For it to be totally exposed for several minutes and take 100s of hits from about 100-200m (120mm, 75mm, and 20mm), yet seemingly take no damage is hard to accept. Is the bottomplate invincible, or what?

Since it was capable of moving (the driver, motor, and battery were still operable) and firing (the gunner, ammunition, and gunnery computer were still operable), just what internal systems would you suggest were destroyed by the some 100+ rounds that hit it in the bottomplate. My 20mm bot spent about 1 to 2 minutes firing at it (3 20mm AP rounds every couple of seconds, most likely aimed at the same area) and I had fired several AP and several HEAT rounds at both the bottomplate and treads. All of this was at a distance of no more than 200m, but the stuck Thor never even started to smoke. The HEAT rounds hitting squarely in the bottom after several AP rounds should have cooked everything inside, but didn't seem to penetrate at all. I can only conclude that the bottomplate is incorrectly modeled, since there is no logical reason for it to be that impenetrable.