Slug fest

Ithai

I am having similar problems. In my latest run at it I was able to kill all the enemy bots and occupy the objective, but with only 3 minutes left to go, I wasn't able to get enough points back to win it (comp had ~600 to my ~450 when the timer ended).

So far the most important thing seems to be populating the map with as many spread-out AA towers as possible and in such a way that the gaps between their coverage isn't quite large enough to allow enemy dropships to land. There will be holes, but I have had some success flooding the areas where there is a hole (which I try to deliberately leave in the W/NW corner) with Shrikes and Apollos who hopefully shoot down most of the Dropships. Since the AT turrets don't seem to be able to do anything other than annoy the enemy, I usually just drop them in the area as a distraction. I get always get some leakers, so I have to work on taking them out at the objective.

I hope that helps some. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd also appreciate hearing them.

Believe it or not I have found the at guns can shoot down drop ships. I didn't believe it when it happened the first time. So I clustered 5 again in an unaa area. They did it again. I do like your strategy. Making them land in rough terrain is a great idea. I just need a way to set up a good base defense. But perhaps your way makes it so I dont need one.

If you mean a static base defense, that seems to be pretty much out of the question at least in the initial stage of the battle. I try to leave one Apollo on station in that small crevice on the East side of the objective just off of the northbound road.

To my eternal happiness I found out that arty will bring down dropships, so now I generally target the area where they get clumped up in and pound it with EMP and HE arty.

When you have leakers it's best to drop some of your reserves (1-2 bots) to the rear of the enemy and hit them in the rear while they are advancing to the objective. Whenever they do get into the base, transfer over to your hidden Apollo and take pot shots at them, remembering to get back under cover after firing off your shot. After you've killed off most of their Thors, you can start to think about a static defense of the objective area.

One last note: arty seems to work wonders if you can hit them while they're tied down in the defense or otherwise engaged, but unless your command track has a visual on the target area it seems to spread all over the place.

I finally won the damn thing, so it is possible. Good luck.

A quick question to any who know: do the EMP artillery rounds disable dropships (ie do dropships lose control and plummet to the ground if hit by EMP)?