To the moon, Alice!

Jack Carr

I'm sure all of you have played the scenario entitled, "Cratered", the one that takes place on the desolate moon of some planet. Well, the other day, I fired up DT and selected the only 1.1.2 server available which just happened to be playing this scenario. It was an objective game type, not CTF.

It seemed that no matter where I tried to drop a vehicle to get myself in the game, my dropship was immediately shot down by an AA bot. After the first five attempts resulted in a flaming dropship and its wrecked cargo, I was laughing, but after the next 15 resulted in the same fate, I stopped laughing. Trust me when I say I tried just about every spot on the map to no avail. I think I stopped trying after 40 attempts.

The score was badly one-sided so I'm guessing that the rest of my team, bot and human alike, were faring similarly.

Did I just have a bad game? Well, to be fair to me, I really didn't get into the game at all, except to give points to the other team as my dropships were shot out of the sky. I think there was an AA gun bot strategically placed in every area of the map so that no matter where you tried to land, you were toast.

I suppose also to be fair to the opposing teams players, a medal should be pinned on the player responsible for placing those bots.

Is the layout of this particular map to blame for this dilemma or was I up against a strategic genius?

What would you have done to get your vehicle into the fight?

Looking forward to reading your replies.

In 1.1.2, your only option here would have been to concentrate on clearing out one good drop zone. Tell all (or many) of your bots to drop in the same place, and you also drop there. A single AA turret won't be able to stop 3 or more dropships dropping together inside of its coverage. You will take losses on the way down, but you only need to get one set of treads on the ground in order to start clearing out the DZ. If your dropships dies but one of the bots manages to land, then immediately use the Take Control command and jump into that vehicle. Immediately start zapping AA turrets and moving - you might only have a few seconds to live. If you can take out a turret or 2, then the rest of the bots which are now still dropping in the DZ will have a better chance of making it down. Now you have several guns clearing an even wider DZ. If you get hit, take control of one of the healthy bots and continue working on enemy AA until you have a nice, wide area to drop in.

By letting your entire team scatter their drops in widespread single drops, you're making it easy for their scattered AA turrets to take all of you down. By concentrating your drops onto the coverage area of a single AA turret, you're putting more dropships in one place than that single turret can take care of on its own.

Starting with 1.1.3, you will also now have the option of using a Reinforcement Zone instead of dropping on most scenarios.