Paladin armor

tankibanki

The front armor on the chassis is thicker, but from the sides you're probably tending to hit the wheels instead of the chassis. You're probably making the wheels useless so the poor thing can no longer turn or drive effectively, but you're not getting that final kill because you need to aim in between the the wheels and hit the chassis.

It's also possible that while attacking from the front, your shots are passing through both the engine and battery at the same time. The loss of the battery always kills the vehicle, the engine has a 25% chance. Paladin engine is in the front and the battery is towards the middle.

If you're taking shots from the rear of the vehicle, try to get your shot to pass through the vehicle all the way to the front of the nose.

I know that I'm to hit the chassis and that's exactly what I have tried to do all the time. Even so it feels like a 10% chance to knock out a Paladin from the side or behind with a 120mm AP round while hitting the lower front hull works every other time.

That's because of Yurch's advice above. When you penetrate the front your round is going through the entire vehicle from front to back, passing through every critical subsystem within - the engine, the fuel, etc. When you penetrate from the side, you will probably hit at most one system. Since you're hitting it with a 120, you're going to penetrate no matter whether it's the front or the side, so in this case it's better to hit through the front (or back) and make your round travel through the entire length of the vehicle.