Display Problem on Mac G3

I recently purchased Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin.

I have a Mac Power PC G3. It runs at 400 MHz with 384 MB built in memory. It has and ATY, Rage 128y display card. The card model is ATY, Rage 128. I run Mac OS 9.2.

The game loaded off the disk onto the hard drive without problem. When I attempted to play the game, the opening screen and display loaded ok. The game selection dialogue and menu loaded and operated just fine. However, when I selected a battle scenario, the screen was totally black with the exception of a grey rectangle centered in the middle of the screen with a white bar in the middle. The sound files for the scenario loaded properly. I have read the trouble shooting guide and am unable to find a solution.

I need a fix. Can anybody please Help!

Dennis K. Pflug

I swore you've asked this question before, but I can't find the thread anymore.

I don't know if an update to OS 9.2.2 will help here or not. I can't recall off hand if there were any ATI driver updates with that OS.

Is your current OS 9.2 installation an in-place upgrade of a previous OS ? What version of the OpenGL extension do you have loaded ? Are there any NVidia driver extensions loading up (there shouldn't be) ?

Most of the following files should be loading for the ATI cards:

ATI 3D Accelerator

ATI Driver Update

ATI Graphics Accelerator

ATI MPP Manager

ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator

ATI Resource Manager

ATI Video Accelerator

ATI Video Accelerator Update

I'm not sure if all of these files will be loading with OS 9.2 (the list is actually from the ATI Update 1.0 for OS 8.6). QuickTime may also have some impact here and you may want to download and install the latest version.

I believe most of the following files may be necessary too, but I'm not sure if some of the names have changed for OS 9.x:

QuickDraw 3D

QuickDraw 3D IR

QuickDraw 3D RAVE

QuickDraw 3D Viewer

Schrullenhaft,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have OS 9.2 ver 1.2.2.

I have the ATI 3D accelerator, ATI Driver Update, ATI Graphics accelerator, ATI Resource Mgr, ATI Radeon 3d accelerator, ATI Video acclerator, ATI Video accelerator update, ATI MPP Mgr, ATI Rage 128 3D accelerator, and QuickDraw 3D. I do not have QuickDraw 3D IR, QuickDraw 3D Rave, QuickDraw 3D Viewer.

Thanks,

Dennis

Admittedly I don't have a Mac to reference for this, so someone else may have to step in to confirm.

The QuickDraw 3D RAVE should be necessary for CM. I don't know if this extension has been renamed or rolled into some other extension now or what. I know Classic RAVE exists on some version of 9.2.x, but I'm unsure which version. However that version of RAVE is geared towards Classic Mode under OS X and doesn't support the hardware rendering modes for OS 9.x do my knowledge.

I am running CMBB on a separate partition with OS 9.2.2, with the Classic RAVE extension removed. Other extensions that are present and are probably important (though I haven't specifically tested) include QD3DCustomElements, Quickdraw 3D, and Quickdraw 3D RAVE. If you don't have those, Dennis, you should reinstall them and see if that helps.

Dave

The latest driver updates provide the following:

Mac OS 9:

ATI 3D Accelerator

ATI 8500 3D Accelerator

ATI RADEON 3D Accelerator

ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator

OpenGLRendererATI

ATI Graphics Accelerator

ATI Video Accelerator

ATI Video Digitizer

ATI Resource Manager

ATI Extension

ATI Mac2TV Monitor

ATI ROM Xtender

ATI Guide

ATI Displays Control Panel

The quick draw drivers are auto install when you update QuickTime I believe.

All best

Patrick