How do you win campaign missions?

Freya

Hi guys,

I have been playing this game since about a week. :cool: I have also started with the campaign but here's where my problem is: I have played through the first five missions, but except the very first mission I got clobbered every time. redface.gif It doesn't matter what I try, changing the route of approach, playing as the driver, gunner or TC, approach at a slow and cautious pace or try to rush through to surprise the enemy (doesn't seems to work) the result is always the same. This is becoming a bit frustrating. :( I wish the in-game briefing and manual would offer more information on this.

What are your tacticts to win these missions?

Otherwise T72 is a great game! Well done Battlefront.com! smile.gif

Freya, one of the things I found helps me win is to not be afraid to jump between positions depending on situation. For example I'd be in the driver position during an approach before contact is made, then in the TC position shortly before I expect contact, and later in the gunner position during the actual shootout. I seem to use the AA-MG position often, too, when enemy infantry is around - choosing the let the AI handle the rest and steering the tank using the key commands.

Another important thing to keep in mind: take your time. There are no bonus points for ending a mission early smile.gif

Hope this helps!

Martin

I was playing 2nd campaign mission, got both tanks destroyed and did kill all but one enemy infantry in area, had fully operational tank. Suddenly get message "mission failed", was like wtf, i think this sucks...is there timelimit or what, i dont think that one soldier could take that village while my tank is sitting middle of it.

Never had that problem with that particular mission, because I always got blasted by one of the tanks. :D

But seriously, I had the same experience with another *defensive* mission. It seems that one defensive missions, the enemy is not allowed to enter the perimeter of that postion (a village, base or just a simple "victory location"). Once they do and no defenders are left inside, possession changes to the attacker, resulting in a "Mission failed".

May be the mission designer did put the victory location outside the village, as you said you were in the middle of the village.

• 3 weeks later...

Had A weird bug with the "Cross Roads" mission. Three tries with 3 different bugs.

1st time - I sight the enemy convoy (Hall this trucking convoy across the USA...) And started to pump 125mm heat rounds into the Lead T-55. 6 hits later it turns and one hit kills me! After mission breif showed 6 solid hits. 3 on the front turret, 2 on the side hull, and one in the side engine compartment. That was one tough T-55...a little too tough.

2nd time - Same as the first. Only T-55 gets away. So I shoot at the civilian truck with AP for a while till a T-55 out of nowhere pops me. After action shows a far off BRDM2 as the killer of my T-72. :confused:

3rd time - Got to my nice ambush spot on Serb side (other side of river is full of RPG teams and other nasty things.) of the river. Killed T-55 with 2 heat rounds. Get updated objective to move out. I take an extra 10 seconds to pop a heat round into the civilian truck. Hitting it results in an instant mission failed.

Just finished the Cemetary mission farther on in the campaign, and have yet to encounter any bugs like this.

Currently trying to get through the same mission.

You're certainly not supposed to shoot at the truck - it carries the hostages you're going to rescue !! ;)

Had my own weird experience with the T55 in one of my attempts. Hit it 3 times and got a 'destroyed' message. Still the darn thing kept firing at me. Took me a while to realise that the shots hitting me were from the T55 - I thought it dead and was looking all over the place for RPG gunners etc. After it destroyed me and the mission ended, the debriefing showed that I had knocked out its gunner and loader !! Then how the h... can it still be firing at me ? :confused:

Cheers,

Erling

yup that T-55 sure is a tough mother... i also had some problems with the "defend the HQ" mission... i was rolling along on the road to the HQ when i got a Mission failed message... turns out the attack had started early because i had seen one of the units from afar and taken a potshot at it... but i decided to keep playing (cos i was angry now) and killed all of them then i got a mission completed result... wierd...

Um, right...wait til you get to the "Power Plant" mission. That one really sucks.

I have tried this one half a dozen times and still get taken out. I may just have to roll up and human wave that fooker.

As to the original question, I mostly drive and let the AI do the shooting. When I get a good hulldown firing position I will switch to the AA gun (F8) and mow down infantry. I also keep my gunner set to fire and have scan on so that the AI looks around while I drive the steal beast.