CMBB Screen Size Problem

I installed the demo on my machine set on a 800x600 screen size.The Read Me file states that the demo does a Direct X test when it installs. It did, but the game starts and then I get a message telling me that I need a minimum 800x600 resolution to run the game. I tried setting my machine to a higher screen resolution but I still keep getting the message.

What Windows version, DirectX version, video card and driver do you have installed ? What resolution and refresh rate are you running on your desktop ? Does CMBB actual load up at all or does it constantly announce you need a higher resolution ? Is there a Prefs file in the CMBB directory ? If there is, delete it and start the process over again.

Windows ME comes with DirectX 7.1, but the latest DirectX version is 8.1b. This will make mostly a difference to your video drivers since newer ones will require the latest version of DirectX.

A Prefs file won't be written out if a resolution is never selected.

I suggest copying your CMBO Prefs file to another location (backing it up) and trying to select a new resolution with CMBO to see if the problem duplicates there.

What resolution and refresh rate are you running on your desktop ? I suggest trying to run at the highest refresh rate possible at your current resolution. How is your monitor defined in Windows, is it just 'Default' or 'Plug and Play' ?

Which video card and what drivers do you have installed ? Sometimes installing a newer driver over an older one doesn't consistently work (i.e. - previous problems remain, though the newer driver should have fixed them).

Unfortunately 'optimal' refresh rate varies from video card to video card (and with different driver versions). I suggest manually selecting a refresh rate from that drop-down dialog. Use the highest one on the list and see what your monitor does.

The Plug and Play definition of a monitor is very generic. Technically it should work very well, but I seem to think that this isn't very true too often (due either to monitor manufacturers or the definition being far too generic and assuming). Do you know what your exact monitor model is ? Some of the larger monitor manufacturers have monitor definitions that you can download and use something that is much more specific for your monitor.

There is no way the the Demo will get 'stuck' on a resolution without a Prefs file being generated. If you don't have a Prefs file, then CM is trying to use your current desktop resolution at the highest refresh rate possible (which may be beyond your monitor's capability).

The CD will not fix this issue, I'm almost certain. You will have the exact same problem at that point too.