T-72's Numbers Gone Random

tankski

Unfortunately, something bad has happened to T-72. Yesterday, while playing Moon's desert scenario, I noticed that my realism settings were wrong. I had the Realistic View off for the commander (I had, in effect, a commander out of the hatch view instead of the visor view), the waypoint information was on the screen, and the enemy tanks were identified. I thought nothing of it. When I checked T-72 Configuration, these features were all turned off. I tried the single player Meeting Engagement scenario, and the same thing was happening. I could not get the realism setting to work correctly. Finally, I erased and tried to reinstall. I keep getting the screen to play the game, not the install screen. I tried installing using the XP manual installation---the red "T-72" would only momentarily flicker in the space for the name and disappear. What is happening? Tried turning off the computer several times and it made no difference. I am completely flummoxed.

Well guys, I hope it's not due to something I made with the custom missions :( Now I kind of doubt it because I have been making and playing custom missions for months without problems. Are you sure that you didn't play around with the setting somehow (for example there is a way to access realism settings from within the game)? I don't see how swapping the mission files would affect those in any case...

As for deinstalling/reinstalling. First off, don't panic smile.gif Make sure you make a clean uninstall first. If you keep getting the "Play" option, then that's a sign that you did not uninstall correctly. Try to run the uninstaller again from the Start menu or by inserting the CD, and when the install screen comes up, click on the X in the right upper corner. After that, find the folder in which the game was installed (e.g. C:/Program Files/Battlefront/T-72/), and delete the whole thing. Then try to install again. If all fails, email support@battlefront.com for a manual installation procedure or further ideas.

Martin

Haven't a clue what happened, Moon, and, for all I know, the time of the breakdown might have been random. I did my usual Search for all game programs and trashed them individually. Can't use any uninstaller because they are all gone. Tried clicking on the "X" many times with no success. Tried to find the Battlefront folder, but Search declared: "...not a valid folder". Found many T-72 folders scattered in My Documents and in Shortcut to Program Files---trashed them, but, without a list of all the T-72 folders, there might be some still in those places which I couldn't identify. WHAT A MESS. Still can't reinstall. T-72 was getting more and more buggy as I played it. Driver refusing orders common. Friendly controllable tanks wandering off.

I have noticed in the mission editor that under Level|Environment, there are a number of settings that coincide with several settings in the config editor. I wonder if these level settings over-ride what you designate in config, on a per scenario basis? I noticed this when I called for "lens flare" and "cloud shadows" to be set to "off" in config, yet they were appearing anyway.

I am helping tanski in email but I wanted evberyone to know how NOT to uninstall the game. T-72 creates many registry entries so whatever you do, do not manaully delete the T-72 game folder if you want to uninstall. You must first run the T-72 uninstall untility that you can access via the Start Menu, THEN you can remove any remaining folders or config files.

Failure to do this will leave old registry settings that could cause the game to not reinstall until you manually clear them out using REGEDIT.

Madmatt