PBEM Mechanics.

Not a problem per se, but certainly a mechanism question. As I look over the system, it seems awfully long-winded.. it looks like four emails need to be sent for one turn.

If I compare this to TacOps, which also uses a simultaneous turn-based system, it is possible to do two turns with each exchange of mails. The thing goes a lot faster.

Is there a reason for this to be the case, or am I just misinterpreting the thing?

NTM

It's not really that bad. Turns go like this, unless I'm forgetting a step. You have the initial set up of course, then turn 1 is an order phase. Send it off. The next file you receive will be a movie showing the results of the last turn and then another order phase. Send it off. Then the next turn will be a movie, that' s it. Send it off. And then the rotation begins again. Order phase, movie and order phase and then movie phase. Make sense? It's really pretty cool the way it works and is very effective.

Hmmm... you've also doubled the length of time it takes to play a game. I do not have my PC on an 'always on' connection which means that sometimes there's only one mail each way each day (Particularly dependant on timezones).

Oh well, I guess there's no point in complaining about it now...

NTM

Trooper,

After the initial setup, it's actually 3 file swaps to complete one turn, not 4. So while it does take one extra file swap when compared to standard I go/U go games, at least it doesn't "double" the number of swaps. More like a 50% increase.

And the CM PBEM system will help prevent cheating, which, depending upon your level of familiarity/trust with your opponent, may or may not seem worthwhile to you. Personally, I don't mind the file swapping system used by CM. When it comes time to play in Ladders, Tournaments, and Net Campaigns, BTS would take a lot more heat for not having some sort of "anti-cheat" security built into the engine.

Just my two cents.

Papa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

Oh well, I guess there's no point in complaining about it now...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's really no point in complaining. It's really a smooth process. I can still get 2-4 files exchanged in one day. My least favorite exchange is the order phase only, just because there is no movie to view. I find playing a pbem the most enjoyable, you just don't know what to expect.

Guest Scott Clinton

I have yet to finish an email game other than a pair of ICQ games and they took two days each.

My standard email games have run 1-3 turns a week. On a 40 turn game that can drag on a loooong time.

I doubt I will be starting another email game anytime soon.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

There have been quite a few threads covering the PBEM mechanics and how security can still be maintained while using only 2 emails/turn. Do a search in the original CM folder for this.

Hopefully we can see this implemented in CM2. It is rough on players PBEMing across multiple timezones. smile.gif

Dar