Houses washed out

Can anyone help

Ive just bought cmbb but have had cmbo for a long time without problems ( heavily modded)

The houses on cmbb seem very washed out -I assume it s my mac thats the problem (imac running system8.6) can anyone help identify the problem, it was running sluggish but I gave it extra memory and it seesm much better but the graphics are still diappointing.

thank in advance

Revision a or b imac?

a original blueberry

b next one

c slot loading (dalmation, arctic white etc)

I presume a, as that came with 8.6, this will be barely adequate for CMBB as the installed 128 card is quite basic and nigh on impossible to upgrade.

The optimum for the CM series seems to be the ATI 7000 ATI radeon 32mb card installed in a OS9 bootable tower.

You might have a problem upgrading to a brand new machine as they don't boot in 9. Look for a good 2nd hand machine (G4) but check/search here for specs i.e. 9000 series ATI cards don't work. And all AT cards after 7000 had some problem. Nvidia cards seem OK but but have there own idiosyncrasies.

My ideal CM gaming machine would be a dual Quicksilver 867 tower, OS9 bootable, with a 2nd hand (as discontinued) Retail ATI Radeon 32mb AGP card

Originally posted by Deadly Dave:

Can anyone help

Ive just bought cmbb but have had cmbo for a long time without problems ( heavily modded)

The houses on cmbb seem very washed out -I assume it s my mac thats the problem (imac running system8.6) can anyone help identify the problem, it was running sluggish but I gave it extra memory and it seesm much better but the graphics are still diappointing.

thank in advance

A rev A or Rev B iMac would be in the original Bondi blue. The rev C and above came in the many candy colors, which included Blueberry.

The Rev C machines came with 8.6 which were the slot loaders. The originals came with 8 mb of Vram, a fine increase over the 4 and 6 mb of its forebearers.

OS 9 bootable machines are still available new from Apple, either as a G3 iBook or a single or dual processor G4 Mirrored Dual Drive unit.

The single processor version can be had for as little as 1270 with a Radeon 9000.

I have a dual 867 MDD bought almost exactly a year ago and it is a fine dual boot machine, effectively the same as the current shipping units.

The artwork for CMBB is rather subdued in general.

Originally posted by Deadly Dave:

Thanks guys

it cam came with a 8.5 system whijh i upgraded to 8.6

Im not a computer whizz but Its a blueberry G3 333mhz with 6mb of video ram (is that Vram)

I guess what youre saying is that its getting oldish ?

is there anything I can do to enhance with out buying a new computer (or second hand)

iForce G3 Upgrade Odyssey processor upgrades

Graphics card is built into the system board so there is no way to upgrade it. A better value for money option is to consider the emac g4 like an imac but with 17" monitor

(Apple emac) but make absolutely certain it is OS9 bootable.

Unless you find a old model in stock at a local reseller, all new eMacs are OSX only. I believe they omitted the OS9 boot model last month.

A G4 1.25 tower with a 19" monitor will run you about 1500 which is alot, but its a fine machine. The 14" G3 iBook has 32mb of vram and is a pretty good machine. I'd go with the tower as it is upgradeable.

Another choice is to pick up a older G4 tower, a Sawtooth or newer which has an upgradeable video card. You can probably get a serviceable 450 mhz G4 for @300 and sell your iMac for 1-200. Buy a cheap monitor at a discounter and really enjoy CM a great deal more. I looked on Ebay and there are good units available. The G4s are really reliable (I administer 10 of them and aside from HDs going after 4 years of continuous use they have not failed) and are very easy to upgrade with components you can pick up at any computer store (CD burners, hard drives, memory).