Like Operation Flashpoint?

One of my all time favorite games is still Operation Flashpoint - mainly because of the freedom of movement you're allowed and the fact that you're not restricted to any sort of linear story line.

It is also great in that you're able to jump in and out of vehicles (allied and enemy) and are able to use buildings as strong points with units that you command.

Will T72 be in any way similar? One thing that T72 obviously shares with OFP is the mission editor. OFP has a great following of developers who create both missions and models. Would be great to see that happen with T72.

Cheers

Played the Russian demo but I don't remember if the player can bail out of their tank (I think they can).

Even so it's not like you can go on fighting (you are unarmed) and most likely whatever knocked out your tank is going to mow you down as you bail out anyways.

I'm not sure if you get to command other vehicles or even how friendlies act on the battlefield.

I think the campaign is a series of missions that move on in a linear fashion however the missions themselves are open in that you can approach a situation from whatever direction you want. Hopefully the enemy is dynamic changes in reaction to the player.

In the demo I approached the enemy along the main road and was taken out by defenses there. After doing that several times I decided to sneak around and hit from the flank and was able to catch them by surprise. I still died but I was able to inflict considerable casualties.

I am watching this game but I'm still on the fence about buying it. I usually won't buy a game that doesn't come w/ a random/dynamic campaign and/or mission generator. The editor in T72 does have some random elements (I assume the campaign missions do as well) so that's something. Personally I'd rather have a random campaign generator than interior tank graphics but that's just my opinion.

There are other elements that I need more info on before I spend my hard earned cash. Plenty has been revealed on the tech part of the game but what about the AI? In the demo I was up against static defenses so I can't form an opinion if the AI is good or not (well I can tell you the AI is good at blowing you're butt back to where you came from). How the AI moves and reacts to a changing battlefield will be critical for this game so I'd like to hear more about it.

Also how massive can battles be? It would be great if battles can involve dozens of infantry and vehicles but that is unknown to me.

Hopefully someone in the know can answer these questions.

You cannot really leave your tank. Well, your crew can, but when that happens, it's usually "mission over" (although that's not entirely true, because the game continues and you enter "spectator mode" where you can jump between units, analyse hits - you get to see the impact vectors and so on... you just cannot influence the battle anymore).

You can give simple orders to attached units. Not all friendly units on the map are automatically attached, though. You can give them waypoints, order infantry to mount and dismount, stuff like that...

The AI in T72 is as good as the scenario designers scripts it.

In short - T72 is not OFP (duh). It is a tank simulation with the emphasis on the player's tank and some tactical elements worked in to make sure that the simulation of tank combat resembles the tactical armored combat one would expect from the real world.

We're working on a demo, and the game will be soon ready for release. Stay tuned...

Martin