Thinking About a New Graphic Card

Got CMBB, and noticed for the larger maps with lots of features, my frame update rate is very slow when panning the camera view. My current system specs are:

Compaq Presario 7599 (Pentium III) 700MHz

w/ 256KB full speed L2 cache and 128MB 100MHz SyncDRAM

Voodoo 5500 PCI card

Window 98

I keep hearing the GEForce TI 4200 is the way to go. Is this an appropriate card for my system? I like to play with all the neat stuff (e.g., fog, doodads, extreme foilage, etc. turned on) Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

mike,

I have the AGP version of the Voodoo5 card that you are using and I tried a GeForce 2 TI model and it was quite a bit faster than my Voodoo5 so I think you will be happy with that upgrade. Most people point out the 4200 because of the price/performance ratio. To get much faster than the 4200, the price goes up considerably.

Are you limited to only PCI cards in your current PC? I.E. did your PC originally have onboard video and you later added the V5 PCI card? If you are limited to PCI upgrades only then the best you can do with a PCI card (that I am aware of) is the GeForce4 MX440/MX460.

Originally posted by mike_in_texas:

brooktrout,

Thanks for the info. I know my computer has a few PCI slots and one AGP. I just can't recall if the AGP slot is currently filled. Assuming I'm limited to only PCI cards, how does the GeForce4 MX440/MX460 compare to my Voodoo5 and the TI 4200?

Mike

The AGP slot is only for graphics cards (AGP=Accelerated Graphics Port), so if you have one, you can use it.

The 4200 is an excellent choice--I think they can be has for about $120 now--and it will stay good for awhile. It's more han CM needs, however, so if (like me) that's about all you play, a GeForce3 Ti200 is more than adequate, and I've seen them for less than $75.

In either case I'd suggest prowling www.dealnews.com for a good price on one.

Got CMBB, and noticed for the larger maps with lots of features, my frame update rate is very slow when panning the camera view. My current system specs are:

Compaq Presario 7599 (Pentium III) 700MHz

w/ 256KB full speed L2 cache and 128MB 100MHz SyncDRAM

Voodoo 5500 PCI card

Window 98

I keep hearing the GEForce TI 4200 is the way to go. Is this an appropriate card for my system? I like to play with all the neat stuff (e.g., fog, doodads, extreme foilage, etc. turned on) Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hey guys my brother is having the same problem that mike in texas is having, he has the indentical setup to him as well, and ironically my brothers name is Mike and he lives in Texas. :eek:

He has a very very sluggsh frame rate in bigger scenarios/ops. So slow it is not worth playing in my opinion, and I thought I'd never say that.

Only difference is he does not have an AGP slot, only PCI. I know this because it used to be my old PC. My Bro does not have the cash to get a new vid card, so I thought I would get him one tomorrow. So how does the GeForce4 MX440/MX460 compare to the Voodoo 5500 PCI.

What is an estimated price?

mike,

Compaq's site is hard to find a downloadable .PDF for your motherboard layout (not sure they even have one) but looking at the 7500 series it looks like an Intel 810 motherboard chipset. I believe the whole 810 line has built-in AGP Graphics and does not have a separate AGP port. That's probably why you have the PCI V5 since it is a stronger 3D solution than the built-in graphics. The 815 line added the AGP port for that series.

Shatter,

There is actually a GeForce4 MX420 in addition to the 440 and the 460. The MX420/440 is found more easily in stores. I hardly eaver see references to the 460, but it is probably the faster (and more expensive) one.

I am in the same boat as you guys. I have a Tyan Thunder 2500 motherboard and cannot run a AGP nVidia board in it so I am also looking at the nVidia PCI line (and others). I currently have an AGP Voodoo5 which slows down substantially compared to CMBO so I plan to try video cards. I have not investigated the GeForce4 PCI cards enough yet to give opinions other than the product line itself but if I see anything I will post back (same for you guys). There is a PCI Kyro II card that is available in 64mb version that you can get on the net for 49.00 easily. However, do a search for "Kyro II" in this forum before buying. I even inquired about it a couple of days ago. It's actually a decent performing card and does not take a big performance hit when FSAA is on like some of the nVidia products. I'm going to try this card in my AGP slot to see if it even works. But my hunch is the nVidia cards have the least problems with CMBO/CMBB as long as you check the boards for driver version compatibility. I will probably end up with one of the nVidia cards.

Here as some G4 MX series specs:

MX420:

Core Speed: 250 MHz

Memory Type: SDRAM

Memory Speed: 166 MHz

MX440:

Core Speed: 270 MHz

Memory Type: DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed: 400 MHz

MX460:

Core Speed: 300 MHz

Memory Type: DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed: 550 MHz

Shatter, your brother will see the biggest boost going from the onboard video to one of these cards, preferably the 440/460. I have seen the 420 for around $79 retail, the 440 around $99 retail. Of course you can find better online prices. Have not looked at the 460 prices yet.

Mike, not sure what kind of boost in speed you will see going from a V5 to one of these cards. I would make sure I could return it if you try one out and you are not satisfied with the speed boost for the money. I will be finding out the same thing soon enough myself.

Another note is the G3 Ti 200 beats the MX440 in AGP slots so don't expect these to be the same benchmarks that other G3/G4 series cards do. The MX series have been the budget line for nVidia vendors. Just not that many choices with the PCI bus anymore.

Thanks guys for the info

Anybody got any good links to for deals online for vid cards?

I tried the one in this thread but found nothing for the MX440 or MX460.

Also can anybody tell me the difference between core speed and memory speed?

I know my bros performance profile for his Voodoo 5500 PCI card says:

Engine clock speed: 166.80mghz

Memory clock speed: 166.80mghz

I am assuming engine clock is same as core speed.

Shatter,

Try NewEgg, TCWO, FTI Computers, all good companies. :0

I suggest that you get a GF4 Ti4200. Because you have such a relatively slow CPU, either the 64 or 128 meg models should both probably be OK. :D

I have the 4200-128 meg. However, I have it in a system that I built during this past July with an AthlonXP 2100. redface.gif

Cheers, Richard ;) ;p

Originally posted by PiggDogg:

I suggest that you get a GF4 Ti4200. Because you have such a relatively slow CPU, either the 64 or 128 meg models should both probably be OK. :D

;p

This card is for my brothers PC, and he does not have AGP slots in his PC. I don't believe GF4 Ti4200 has a PCI version of the card.

I have a Pentium 4 1.8ghz with the GF4 Ti4200 in it already.

Thanks for the links

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Shatter, you're right -- I just found out this morning that my computer doesn't have an AGP port, only PCIs. So, it looks like I'll be taking brooktrout's advice, and look into getting a GeForce4 MX card (probably the 460). I assume these cards can be found at retailers, like Best Buy and Circuit City, right?

I'll let you all know how it performs with respect to my current configuration (i.e., Voodoo 5).

Mike

P.S. Shatter, your brother wouldn't be living in Houston, would he? If so, that's just plain eerie. ;)

Nope he lives in Dallas but still strange anyway to have the same PC setup, and live in same state and have same name.

P.S.

I am leaving in a few mins to go pick up a G4 MX440 or MX460, most likely MX460 if I can find one. So I might let you know sooner.

[ September 27, 2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Update to my last post

Yup might as well order a card of the net because I have been out and about for 4 hours to every dealer I could think off and was only able to locate a G4 MX420 SDRAM, which is the worst of all the MX cards exept earlier versions.

So I am just gonna order from the net. First I am gonna format his HD then reload everything. Then I will put in the new card. Strangest thing is all other games that ask for higher PC specs run fine, CMBB is the only game he has ever had probs with.

If this card doesn't work I am just gonna get myself a new PC and give him the one I have now. Ya sounds a little extreme, but and bro play a lot of CMBO and now I thought we would play CMBB, but not until this prob is solved.

[ September 27, 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Shatter,

I feel your pain, man. smile.gif From your experience, looks like I'll be purchasing a new PC as well, probably something along the lines of a P4 2.4GHz with a GEForce Ti 4600 included. Should run something around $1300, according to my limited research.

Mike

Don't waste your time on PCI card, its not gonna help trust me. Today I actually found an Vision Tech G4 MX440 PCI and the piece of crap is worse than the Voodoo 5500 PCI card he already has, and it over 2 years old.

Here is the specs listed on G4 MX440 box and found same specs at Nividia site.

G4 MX440

Listed as

Core Speed: 270 MHz

Memory Speed: 400 MHz

Only achieved these benchmarks

MX440:

Core Speed: 150 MHz

Memory Speed: 200 MHz.

So again don't even waste your time and money. Just get a new mother board and Processor or New PC all together.

Mike where did you find the info on the P4 2.4GHz with GEForce Ti 4600 included for $1300???

Also is a whole PC with monitor and Printer and all the others, or just a Tower???

That is really a desent price, and trust me you'll love the G4 Ti4600. Thats what I have in my PC, that I will probably be giving me brother.

[ September 29, 2002, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Just jumping in here about $1300 PC solutions. Short of building one yourself (always the cheapest route), you might want to consider one of the Sony systems and just adding a GeForce4 Ti to the 4x AGP slot that's open.

BestBuy flyer in today's paper has a Sony with 2.4 gig Pentium 4, 512 meg of ram, 17" Sony monitor, a CD/DVD drive AND a CDRW drive, an 80 gig HD (and a printer) for $1199 after rebates. Sounds like a terrific deal to me.

I did the Sony route a couple of years ago when I bought my PIII 866, and bought a Geforce2 at the same time (since upgraded to a GeForce4) - it dropped right in with no motherboard switch or BIOS fiddling and worked like a charm. I'm sure it's still just a easy.

Think Sony has a whole line of Pentium 4 systems starting at $800 or so, and all the CompUSA and BestBuy stores carry them and have all sorts of special deals.

Not trying to do a commerial or anything, but I do think Sony makes a well put together system (love having both a CD/DVD and CDRW) and the prices these days are just crazy low.

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Just jumping in here about $1300 PC solutions. Short of building one yourself (always the cheapest route), you might want to consider one of the Sony systems and just adding a GeForce4 Ti to the 4x AGP slot that's open.

BestBuy flyer in today's paper has a Sony with 2.4 gig Pentium 4, 512 meg of ram, 17" Sony monitor, a CD/DVD drive AND a CDRW drive, an 80 gig HD (and a printer) for $1199 after rebates. Sounds like a terrific deal to me.

I did the Sony route a couple of years ago when I bought my PIII 866, and bought a Geforce2 at the same time (since upgraded to a GeForce4) - it dropped right in with no motherboard switch or BIOS fiddling and worked like a charm. I'm sure it's still just a easy.

Think Sony has a whole line of Pentium 4 systems starting at $800 or so, and all the CompUSA and BestBuy stores carry them and have all sorts of special deals.

Not trying to do a commerial or anything, but I do think Sony makes a well put together system (love having both a CD/DVD and CDRW) and the prices these days are just crazy low.

- Old Dog

Thanks for the info

I went out today and got with my local PC guy, (that I had build my last PC, which is going to my Bro).

I got:

Pent 4 2.533ghz processor

512 MB DDR Ram

40gig Hd

G4 Vision Tech(Xtacey)Ti4600 128MB DDRMem Vid card

19" monitor (can't remember brand of the top of my head)

Full size tower

DVD/CD-rom

TDK Burner X24 burn rate

Cheap Cannon printer (don't do much printing)

Boston Accoustics surround sound speaker, (2 Subwoofers & 6 smaller speakers)

And there is more but I can remember right now. All this for $1292 after rebates, and 6 months same as cash.

I am really pleased with what I got for the money.

Shatter,

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I'm paying ~$1450 for my new system, which has:

Pent 4 2.4ghz processor

512 MB DDR Ram

20gig Hd

G4 Ti4200 128MB DDRMem Vid card

17" monitor

Full size tower

DVD/CD-rom

CD-RW

Hopefully, now your brother and I will be able to play the larger scenarios.

Mike

I know my brother will be able to play the large scenarios. I set up a Huge scenario on it just to see how it would play, and no problems at all. He is getting my old PC which is not old at all, I just got it a couple months ago.

Pent 4 2.4 Ghz

40 gig HD

17" monitor

G4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR memory Vision Tek (Xtacy)

320 MB DDR Ram

DVD/CD-rom

CD-RW

Basically same setup as you are getting except for the vid card. No fear though, I have a friend who has a G4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR Memory Vision Tek (Xtasy), and runs CMBB great.

The only difference I see in the Ti4200 to Ti4600 is with the Ti4200 there is the smallest screen hesitation with Trees & Doo Dads set to Extreme at resolution of 1280 X 1024. Even that is so minor you really don't notice it. You be very happy with what you got.

Personally if I have to go buy a G4 Ti vid card only. I would just go get the Ti4200 and save $200.

Luckily I got the Ti4600 included in both the PC's I have bought now.

[ October 02, 2002, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]