Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Radeon 9800 Pro...

pcelt

Am interested to know from anyone who uses this card or has info about it, how it performs with the CM series

1. Re FSAA----if it does cause text loss or corruption does it respond to the Alt-Tab and return by then displaying correctly?

2.Re "fog emulation"---I presume this does not work at all with the CM "tables". My real concern is with CMAK coming up ---is the "dust" which is so central in the desert scenarios based on the same system or is this displayed in a way which will de effective with the Radeon cards.

I should be very grateful for any info and insights about these or any other factors related to these cards.

Many thanks

I'm not an user of this particular card.

Whatever FSAA problems other Radeons have (especially 9x00 series cards), this one will have. I don't believe that an Alt-Tab will fix the text corruption however, but I may be incorrect about that. ATI has used a slightly different sampling routine than Nvidia, but it has gotten to the point that the driver families seem to share some similar bugs (because they've tried similar optimizations).

The ATI Radeons will not do fog in any of the current CM's due to the lack of fog-table support under DirectX. They would work on the Mac if it wasn't for the horrible 'psychadelic' colors that the current RAVE driver displays. Dust however will show up since the graphical effect is more like smoke in CM than fog. There really isn't a 'pervasive' dust effect in CM where a fog-like effect would be used (which may be a bit of a disappointment to some).

Many thanks for the very helpful info----would still like to know for certain whether the Alt-Tab out and return which is effective with my geforce 4 (with 4XFSAA) is or is not effective with the Radeon 9800.

Does anyone know for sure whether this works or whether there is any other workaround to maintain FSAA with the 9800.

Many thanks

Paul-Allen -

have you tried experimenting with the different AA settings ? Sometimes the bottom (2X) and top (6X or 4X) may have problems that can cause a black screen. Which OS are you using, is it XP ? Do you know if you have the 'Q328310' WM_TIMER patch installed (it should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel) ? Do you have more than one display card in your system ? When you attempt to start CM for the first time do you see the resolution selection boxes at all (they only list the currently attempted resolution - cycling to the next lower refresh rate every 5 seconds or so) ?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply,

>>have you tried experimenting with the different AA settings ?

I have tried adjusting each of the settings on AA with no change.

>>Which OS are you using, is it XP ?

I am running XP Home.

>>Do you know if you have the 'Q328310' WM_TIMER >>patch installed (it should be listed in the >>Add/Remove Programs control panel) ?

I do have Q328310 loaded (but did remove it as suggested at one point with no effect).

>>Do you have more than one display card in your >>system ?

I have only the one card (9800 pro)

>>When you attempt to start CM for the first >>time do you see the resolution selection boxes >>at all (they only list the currently attempted >>resolution - cycling to the next lower refresh >>rate every 5 seconds or so) ?

I do see the resolution selection boxes and have tried a wide range of selections. If it helps My monitor is the Viewsonic P95f+.

My system in brief is

Pentium 4 5.33 mhz

Ram: 1024

Video: Radeon 9800 pro

drivers: 6.14.10.6387

Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2

Thank you for any help you can give and have offered so far.