My Tech Problem

I posted this elsewhere, and discovered I should have put it here. Sorry.

I am a recent CM buyer. Even before I read through the manual I did the tutorial battle a few times, and it's a great game. Now I have a problem.

Recently I checked with the 3Dfx site and thought it would be a great idea to update my Voodoo 2 SLI drivers, so I did. Went fine. As long as I was at it, what the heck, I also downloaded DirectX7. Went just fine.

I should have figured I did something I shouldn't have when I tried to get back into Falcon 4, and couldn't get sound to work, and then the pre-mission pie chart wouldn't come up. Damn.

Then tonight I went back to CM, now that I've finished the manual. NO SOUND!!! NO SMOKE ROUNDS!!! God knows what else I aint getting.

Then, at the end of the tutorial, the screen went technicolor and a lot like a battlefield Picasso might design. Something went wrong.

OK, I learned my lesson, I did a bad thing. Can anyone tell me if I now need to get rid of the DX7 and the drivers? If so how? I appreciate any assistance.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

--Jean Shepherd, circa 1956

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skoonj:

OK, I learned my lesson, I did a bad thing. Can anyone tell me if I now need to get rid of the DX7 and the drivers? If so how? I appreciate any assistance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before you get rid of DX7 try reinstalling your 3dfx and your sound card drivers. Usually after an install of a new version of DirectX you need to reinstall the card drivers.

Elmo

Sounds strange that you would lose your sound after upgrading your video driver. I assume this may have to do with upgrading to DirectX 7.0a. It's possible your audio drivers aren't fully compliant with DirectX 7. What sound card are you using ? The first suggestion would be to upgrade your sound driver, if you can find a newer driver for your sound card. Let us know which model you have (model, possibly the chip number if you can find it) and we can point you to a site.

You may want to play around with the "Audio Acceleration" of your sound by launching the DirectX diagnostic/setup program from C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DIAG.EXE. Go to the Sound tab and move the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" slider to the left.

Unfortunately there isn't a simple way of removing DirectX 7. Uh... according to a Microsoft FAQ you can go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select DirectX from the list and click the Remove button. However DirectX 7 goes in and replaces some critical files and this process may not work. Here's an uninstaller for DirectX, but I recommend this as something of a last resort:

Ebrink DirectX Uninstaller:

http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/downloads.html

Follow the instructions closely:

http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/instructions.html

Microsoft's DirectX FAQ:

http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/faq.asp

As for video drivers. Your best bet is to use the drivers from the particular manufacturer of your Voodoo2 SLI (Creative or whoever). The Reference drivers you are using probably have the latest fixes you can get, but on occasion some cards won't work if you are using anything but the manufacturer's drivers. If your Voodoo2 isn't a name brand you can possibly go back to an older driver:

Older Voodoo2 Reference drivers:

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo2/voodoo2_win9x.stm

You may want to try the "WHQL" driver first and possibly try newer drivers after that. I can't recall what issues the Voodoo2's had. There are probably some features you will not get in the game with any of the available drivers for the Voodoo2's (though I could be wrong on that).

I reinstalled the Voodoo 2 driver and nothing happened. I got it from 3Dfx since Diamond doesn't support it anymore.

The sound card is a Sonic Impact. I installed it with the original driver two years ago. It's a cheap board, but has worked well, and no updated drivers were available until now.

I'll try that control panel stuff later. I found it earlier, and it did note a sound problem, but I didn't know what to do about it.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

FIXED! I deleted the sound card software files and re-installed them. It took a couple of tries, and I may have screwed up something else, but CM works now and that's what I wanted. Thanks all!

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!