Recommendations on video card

Final stages of getting new computer. Choices of video cards with computer are Geforce4 MX, Geforce FX5200 or ATI all in wonder cards. Which works best with CMBO and will allow fog? Also will be playing Battlefield 42 and MOHAA.

Thanks,

Eric

I'd recommend a GeForce Ti 4200 or 4400 or 4800 if CM is your main addiction since it supports fog-table emulation. The GeForce 4 MX isn't quite as good as these cards and the GeForce FX series seems to have a few unique problems (and their performance doesn't measure up to their price) so I wouldn't specifically recommend them either.

If the other two games you listed are your forte, then the ATI Radeon family might be a better bet, since some of the higher-end Radeons are considered the performance champs at the moment. One note though, in the past the 'All-in-Wonder' cards had slightly lower performance than their non-TV siblings. Whether this remains true with the latest Radeons, I'm not sure. So make sure you really want the TV tuner or video capture capability in exchange for the highest performance.

I assume that you're already aware that none of the ATI video cards support fog-tables under DirectX. So that would basically rule out any Radeon or 'All-in-Wonder' if fog in CM is truly a major concern for you. Depending on which graphic API and how fog is coded - the other games will most likely have fog in them when using the Radeons.

[ July 07, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I haven't looked lately, but I believe that the ATI cards DO show smoke properly. The transparency functions involved with smoke are fine on the ATI Radeon family to my knowledge. It's just the lack of fog-table/particle fog effects under DirectX that the ATI cards lack (well, there are a couple of other problems at the moment, but they should probably get fixed within a couple of releases of the Catalysts).

I'll double-check this within a few days with a Radeon 8500.

[ July 07, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]