CM demo not loading right on Mac G4

Freak

I am using a Mac G4 256mb ram, rage pro stock agp card and I cant seem to get the demo to load. I just recently intialized the harddrive and partioned it out. This is so that I can install OS X pb. Anyway, I istalled openGL 1.1.2 so I didnt think I would have any problems getting CM to work.

When I load CM it starts to load and then quite suddenly it just goes right back to the desktop with no warning or any information on what the problem may be. It happens within a few seconds after loading CM. I dont know what it is, but I do remember there being an ATi driver update or maybe an apple driver update or something. Not sure though. Anyone know what's up? I am running OS 9.0.4

Thanks in advance.

Freak

well the thing is, I intilized the drive, then I partioned the drive into 2 seperate partitions. So there should'nt be any problem with compatability. Or at least I dont think there is or should be. So when I am running CM I am running it on OS 9 by its self. Booted direct to OS 9 partition. Not on OS X classic. So there shouldnt be a problem. I havent tryed it on X classic yet and probably wont from what I have heard on the forum.

Thanks though smile.gif

Freak - So you don't even see the splash screen for the CM demo or do you run into this problem when it is loading up the 3D environment ?

Though this will probably lead nowhere...

What partitioning software did you use ? Was it something that came with OS X or your hard drive ? Was your drive partitioned into multiple logical drives before or was it just a single partition ? I don't know what OS X's requirements are, but is it in the first or second partition (I'd assume the first) ? I don't know why partitioning for OS X could make a difference in CM's functionality, but that seems to be the major change here.

There are ATI driver updates for OS 9.0.4, but I wouldn't have thought that they would be necessary to get CM running. OpenGL 1.1.2 shouldn't affect CM to my knowledge (I'm not sure what code-libraries may be shared with it and QuickDraw's RAVE). Before you repartitioned for OS X did the CM demo work fine on your current system ?

Nope, dont even get the splash screen. Doesnt get that far.

I partitioned the drive into 2 parts one, the first one is OS 9 and it has about 18 gigs. The second went to OS X and has about 9 gigs. I used drive setup off the G4 system install cd, though I dont know why this would effect my computer.

CM worked fine before I partirioned the drive. The were no problems to speak of.

I forgot that CM does not run in OpenGL. Maybe the Ati drivers intall will help, as I did install OpenGL. Maybe Opengl istall wrote over some of the Ati stuff. Just a thought. I'll check it though.

I believe that the ATI drivers will use the OpenGL extension you mentioned (for OpenGL based apps) and I don't think that they have their own OpenGL extension.

Can you uninstall OS X (and possibly delete that partition) and see if CM will run in your OS 9.0.4 partition ? If it doesn't then you may want to disable some extensions/CPs with Extension Manager. As some people have guessed, there may be some extensions loaded up by OS X with a dual boot system. A bunch of guess work, but as long as you're game it may be worth trying.

DavidJJ has created a list of some OS X related CPs/Extensions. You may want to check this thread out and disable some of these:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000690.html

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 09-25-2000).]